Topic

Uli Steck and Mountain Hardwear Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Uli Steck and Mountain Hardwear Gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX
    Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Don't forget the 7x10D wind shirt (anorak style) at 1.9oz! $135

There's a SummitRocket 30L pack as well.

Definitely a major competitor bringing UL to not only the mass market, but the climbing realm.

I'm interested to see the Dyneema fabric they're using in their new packs. Sounds like something proprietary and doesn't look like cuben from the pictures.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Just nitpicking, I guess, but his name is Ueli.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I think it is DX40 from Dimension Polyant.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Any info on that? Just a light version of the Dyneema X that's so popular amongst our own cottage manufacturers?

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

No its different from Dyneema X. DX40 is a dyneema polyester blend from Dimension Polyant. At least that is what I think it is just from looking at it. I have some DX 40 right in front of me right now and have used it in packs. Its really burly stuff.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

They're using DP TX07 as reinforcement on the tent so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a rebranded or slightly tweaked version of a DP product. Now the question becomes just which fabric did they start with?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

30D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm PU for the tent fabric. Not impressed.

Hopefully this will spur some innovation among other competing companies with well-funded R&R, ahem, R&D departments.

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

thanks Kat

David Ure

@familyguy

This is pretty impressive from a mainstream manufacturer. Not a huge two person shelter but the volume looks decent and it is freestanding:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Mountain-Hardwear-Supermega-UL-2-Person-Tent_10184671_10208_10000001_-1_

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@David: 10D fly, that's dainty. True double wall construction at under 2.5lbs freestanding. Unfortunately it's the same old design, just using lighter fabrics. MH's new tents this season follow this trend. At $430, I don't know how many will use it with not-quite-waterproofness (in the floor or fly, for that matter).

Lightweight principles are more than lightweight fabrics. MH is going UL, but I don't know if they're doing it right. Then again, they'll probably get more marketshare this way.

John Le

@jplblue

Locale: Northeast

>>30D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm PU for the tent fabric. Not impressed.
    >>Hopefully this will spur some innovation among other competing companies with well->>funded R&R, ahem, R&D departments.

I'm curious about the new fly fabric, as well. It looks like they switched all their single-walled expedition tents to the new fabric. Previously, MH used Conduit FR, their version of fire-retardant, waterproof-breathable fabric. My guess is that the new fabric is less waterproof but more breathable as compared to Conduit FR, and similar to Black Diamond's NanoShield or Nemo's OSMO Elite. But that's just a guess, since these companies aren't very forthcoming about the specs of their fabrics. From what I've read here, NanoShield has 1,700 mm hydrostatic resistance and great breathability, which seems to make it superior to MH's new fabric. I don't know much about OSMO Elite. If anybody knows anything else, I'd love to hear more since I'm in the market for a new 4-season tent.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I'm glad to see some UL-style thinking trickling up to the big name manufacturers. I like the packs' use of a functional, removable back pad. That certainly adds utility.

BTW I thought Steck spelled it "Oily"…? ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

@Stephen – MH does guarantee waterproofness. I don't want to have a discussion about HH because I am still trying to get my 1200mm HH floors to leak but they won't. Sometimes theory just doesn't apply in the real world.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

It's good to hear your experience David, it makes me feel better about potentially ordering one. (it's expensive, but compares favorably with the Easton Kilo and cottage offerings)

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Don't forget the 2oz windproof and water resistant shell
    http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Ghost-Whisperer%E2%84%A2-Anorak/OM4625,default,pd.html
    GHOST WHISPERER™ ANORAK

Their 16oz sleeping bag isn't out yet on their main website
    http://www.everestgear.com/mohamosp32.html?productid=mohamosp32&channelid=FROOG

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

I have noticed that mh stitching arent great and tends to come apart. Their warranty also sucks. But I am still going to give it a try

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

My Stoic Wraith comes in at 2.15oz for a size small and has a hood, all for $70 and frequently on sale. Not that impressed with the Ghost Whisperer for it's price.

As for HH. I'm wondering if 1200mm is guaranteed after wear. Fresh it probably has great HH ratings but sometimes items sold for expedition/climbing use are rated after abrasion testing (ie conservatively).

John Le

@jplblue

Locale: Northeast

Hi Noel,

Can you share your experience with MHW's warranty dept.? My only one, getting a tent fixed, was generally fine.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Devon at MHW's warranty center has been one of THE MOST kick ass CS/Warranty reps I have ever dealt with in my life.

I sent them a shell that was sliced by my skis and they gave me credit towards a new jacket!

Really great CS, especially from a mainstream company. Very few "big" companies can compete with them warranty-wise…

Noel Tavan
    BPL Member

@akatsuki_the_devil

Hi,

I had bought a fleece at the outlet store. After the first couple of days, the stitching came undone at the seam going from your pit to your waist. It had a 1 inch hole. I called in the main store which is in downtown. They told me to contact the website. The website asked me to ship it and wouldn't pay for shipping fees. Then they would need to evaluate the damage to put a cost on it for me. I just had my friend sawing back on for free…

I have had stitching come undone with my inner mountain hardwear gloves as well on the first usage. I didn't even try to contact customer service. It may be just a fluked but I am just saying that the quality may lacks. I get employee discount which is why I am still purchasing from them.

Ideally, I would have liked to just hand it to the store and have them deal with it. But maybe I am just too picky when it comes to warranty and expect a hassle free process. I have had stitching come undone on my socks from Keen and Sugoi. I sent out pictures and ask them about their warranty, they simply shipped me new ones (I know socks are cheaper than a fleece).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools