Topic

Nextec? Is that the cheaper or more expensive shell for FF bags?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nextec? Is that the cheaper or more expensive shell for FF bags?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

On the Feathered Friends website they show their light flight series sleeping bags available with a choice of two shell materials: Nano Sphere (less expensive) or Pertex Endurance UL (more expensive).

I saw a FF bag and on the tag it listed the shell material as Nextec. Is Nextec one of the two materials listed above or something completely different? Would it be considered the cheaper material or the more expensive material?

Under what conditions/circumstances would you prefer one over the other?

Thanks in advance for your input!

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

Hi,

I don't know that that much about the materials, but have several bags using the Nextec material which is Epic (used for many years). I also have a lighter bag using Nano, which I was told is very water resistant as well but less durable (and lighter).

They have a good material reference on all the bag web pages, here is a link: http://www.featheredfriends.com/picasso/Subhead/FabInfo.html

They are also awesome to call or visit and will tell you everything you need to know about your particular uses and which material would be best.

Cheers

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

I've been wondering the same thing about a certain black bag, haha ;). I figured out that it was Epic, but sadly I don't know how it stacks up in durability. I also don't know how old that bag is, since I don't think they use that material on bags anymore.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

The Nextec Epic was Feathered Friends' "standard" fabric until this year. The NanoSphere used to be the ultralight option. FF phased out the Epic over the summer and introduced the Pertex. It's now the higher-priced option but that also includes a higher fill-count down as well.

I have a FF bag with Epic; it's about 1-1/2 years old. I really like the Epic fabric. It's the reason I chose FF over a Western Mountaineering bag. It has a more matte taffeta-like feel to it and seemed more substantial, drapes nicely without that shiny brittle texture. I haven't had direct comparison in the WDR performance against Pertex but my bag is a lot more water resistant than the REI Halo I recently bought for my son.

The Epic with 800-ct down will obviously be slightly heavier than the Pertex with 900-ct down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools