Topic

Jacket patterns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Jacket patterns

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Garrett
    BPL Member

@sope0021

I have several yards of Gore-tex Pro-shell I am waiting to cut up. I want to make a hardshell that is relatively light weight and has no frills. I have been searching around for a decent pattern for a modern technical jacket and have come up short.

I have a couple patterns I thought about using but thought I would ask here before I cut anything. I've made some windbreakers out of M90 with the Green Pepper Fairbanks pullover. Once I modified it a bit (putting in a longer zipper, taking off the cuffs, draw string, and pocket) it worked really nicely. I'm happy with it for the stuff I already made, but I don't want to use it again because I dislike the raglan sleeves. I also wondered about using the Jalie multi-sports anorak pattern, but I'm not sure how much I like this one yet.

Really, I'm looking for a pattern that does not have raglan sleeves and in which the hood zips all the way to the chin. Anyone with any ideas?

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

I don't have any advice, but will follow this thread. I almost pulled the trigger on the green pepper Rainier suit pattern, which has that same jacket it looks like. So I'm happy to get your feedback and see what answers you get.

Did you look at the liberty ridge shell pattern? You would have to modify it to get the zipper going up to the hood.

Garrett
    BPL Member

@sope0021

I thought about the liberty ridge kit, but I think decided against it. I already have a m90 shell (with the Green Pepper Fairbanks anorak-I can post pictures of that if you're interested in what it turned out like for me) and I would have to lengthen the zipper on it too I think.

There's nothing wrong with the Fairbanks anorak necessarily. I'm just not a huge fan of raglan sleeves.

Have you looked at Shelby patterns? I've also thought about this pattern: http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=165

but I'm not sure about shipping from Europe and whether my bank will charge me for buying something in euros, so I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

I also have an old Patagonia Houdini that's torn up from scraping up against granite that I thought about cutting apart to make a pattern, but I have little experience with this.
    Anyone successfully taken apart a piece of old clothing and sewed something new successfully?

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

If you use a seam ripper and add a bit for seam allowance I can't see why it wouldn't be successful (assuming you liked the parent garment in the first place).

Why aren't you a fan of raglan sleeves? I thought they were used because it keeps the seams off the top of your shoulder and minimizes skin issues when worn with a pack. I guess you could modify the pattern so the diagonal seams become horizontal if it's just an aesthetic issue (probably have to do a few test garments with cheap $1/yd fabric).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made a pretty basic jacket. Described in http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_event_jacket.html. Including the pattern. I think you have to be a member to look at that one.

Garrett
    BPL Member

@sope0021

I feel like, for me at least, raglan sleeves just don't drape as well as normal sleeves. It could be my sewing, or the particular pattern, but that's just my observation.

I should really become a member already. That article might just make me do it…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools