Topic

Wood gas stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood gas stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ben Figula

@cbjfig

Real quick, Im still very new to the site but love all of the information. I am into the idea of lightnening my load however I am most interested in making gear. I am Looking at woodgas stoves and really am wondering a few things. I have read quite a bit on the subject but it seems to go from people experimenting to science beyond my comprehension.

Ben Figula

@cbjfig

Sorry accidental post….anyway, is there a minimum volume of combustion chamber i should look for, also what is a desired space between the inner burner and outer shell, does it depend on volume?

Ben Figula

@cbjfig

SO I just decided to build and experiment. I used 2 soup cans, the small inner can is of the condensed variety, and the outer is the no water added kind. Drilled and cut some holes and wound up with this.

The two cans disassembledIn action, with the secondary combustion visible.The fuel appears to be completely burned to almost nothing.

I am working on a pot stand, probably the mesh variety,at which point I can get some boil times.

The weight is 4 ounces right now without a windscreen.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I suppose there is a limit on the lower end. IE it needs to get hot enough to light off
    without a ton of starter fuel.

I would also imagine that there is a ratio of diameter to height to material to chamber etc that would work best.

That said I built one out of a sardine can inside a 12oz Heineken can and that worked. Would burn about 20 minutes. Hard to light though.

They are fun to play with but I think an Alcohol setup is smaller lighter and easier and does not smoke your pot. I will mention that for 20-30+ odd years I just cooked on a fire and carried a small stove as a backup or if I did not feel like starting a fire.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

This subject has been discussed pretty extensively in the past couple of weeks.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58262

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=58682

In summary, tin can "wood gas" stoves are really poor examples of biomass gassifiers. A true biomass gassifer produces a clean blue flame. In WWII biomass gassifiers were put in the trunks of cars to save gas and diesel for the war effort, and some people even today still choose to run their cars on wood.
    http://www.impactlab.net/2011/05/20/wood-gas-vehicles-firewood-in-the-fuel-tank/

Dan Yeruski has done some comparisons between tin can, double wall, "wood gas" stoves and single wall top lit up draft (TLUD) wood stoves and found there's no improvement with the double wall arrangement. I haven't done any comparisons myself, but I would agree with his observations, since most of the stoves on youtube claiming to be "wood gas" stoves are really, really, poorly built and perform very poorly. They might burn a little cleaner than a normal hobo stove, producing slightly less smoke.

To have a good clean burning wood gas stove, there needs to be proper fuel selection, preparation, loading, etc…, and a really well designed stove for there to be any benefit. And in the end, a true wood gas burner is far more finicky and complicated to use than a normal wood fire or TLUD burner.

For me, playing with the idea of a small burner that produces a clean blue flame is a fun hobby, but as a backpacking stove- get a back-country boiler, trail designs tri-ti (ti-tri? I can't ever remember) or one of those collapsible box deals. I may eventually bring my wood gas stove to play with on the trail, but I wouldn't leave my alky setup at home.

BM

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I used an artilce on this site that came out a couple of years ago to build this one. It gets quite a bit of use, both with wood and a Trangia burner that fits in the top.

Made the Office manager REALLY concerned about my sanity!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools