Topic

Sil Nylon Jacket w/ pit zips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sil Nylon Jacket w/ pit zips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Wright
    Spectator

@chriswrightcycles

Hey all,

I'm on the hunt for a sil nylon jacket (preferably pullover) with pit zips. I could have sworn that a fellow BPL member offered these for sale but can't remember who it is. Any leads?

-Chris

[email protected]

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

One option that you might have seen here is The Packa – which includes an integrated pack cover and has huge pit zips.

I have both a Sil-Nylon Packa and an eVent Packa and am considering having Eddie make me one out of the new WPB Cuben…

If you're looking for a dedicated backpacking jacket please consider it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

Here is a full-zip silnylon rain shell for $69 with a pit-zip option for $10:

http://www.lukesultralite.com/clothing-catalog

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

Kevin,
    Since you have both packas, did you find the event one to be significantly more comfortable wearing it in the rain, than the older silnylon one?
    It weighs a bit more and costs a bit more, so…..
    Thanks,
    Marty Cooperman
    Cleveland, Ohio

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

nm

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Marty,

I'm a big guy (6' and pushing 270 pounds) and I sweat a lot while hiking. I found the eVent Packa to be much more comfortable for me than the Sil-Nylon version. Your mileage may vary – I loaned my sil-nylon one to a buddy on the last trip and we had a good downpour the last two hours of hiking one day. I was comfortable in my eVent version and he was very happy and comfortable in the sil-nylon version.

About all I can tell you is that if you sweat a lot and do so quickly then you'll probably be more comfortable in the eVent model. It does cost more and weighs more, but for me it was worth it.

Eddie is a delight to work with…If you're not satisfied with it he'll work with you to find what will work for you.

martin cooperman
    Spectator

@martyc

Locale: Industrial Midwest

Kevin,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm not a big guy, but I sweat more than anyone I know.
    I have the original silnylon Packa which works better than any rain gear I have.
    But I would like it even more if I could wear it comfortably while at camp and no longer sweating from hiking, so my body heat could dry the out the inside.
    I assume with the eVent, that would work.
    Marty Cooperman
    Cleveland, Ohio

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I made one without pitzips but it would be easy to add them since there's a convenient seam right there. I made it from a modified McCalls pattern; anyone with basic sewing skills could make it (picture half-way down the thread):
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42386

I added an elastic pull-cord around the hood after that picture was taken. Current weight is 3oz. Pitzips would probably add an ounce.

I've had it for about a year now and it has worked well for what it was intended. It's best in chilly temps, totally waterproof and also a nice wind-breaker. I deliberately made it large and loose so that air would freely circulate inside but, in cold temps (<45* or so), the condensation beads on the inside. This is only an issue when I'm hiking. I'm not totally convinced that pitzips would totally alleviate that.

I just bought some 2.5oz 2.5 layer "gortex-like" fabric from Quest to make another one, but with pitzips this time. My expectation is that it will add 3.5oz to the jacket. I'll be happy if it comes out around 7oz or so.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Sumi I posted your link above,it looks great,very nice work!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools