Topic

big sur & storms

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning big sur & storms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I have some down time next week and was thinking about one of the out and backs south of Big Sur (the town). I see a storm is predicted for Tuesday. Any comments on safety? I don't want to be crushed by a falling red wood. I assume streams will rise, so I need to be mindful about crossings. 20 mph winds are predicted. Thanks.

This all seemed like such a good idea two months ago when I booked the flight…

Luke H.

@scraps111

What trail are you going to be on? You should be fine, just don't camp under a big tree. Definitely be careful crossing with stream crossings. You could also go a little farther south where huge falling trees and crossings won't be as much of an issue. Might I suggest Salmon Creek trail to Spruce creek trail up to Dutra Flat. You can keep walking past Dutra flat for several miles if you want to go farther.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

The plan was to park at kirk creek campground and go to vincience flat and beyond if my flat land legs could take it

Otherwise I have to visit more family

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools