Topic

Shoe problem HELP!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Ok here's the problem i'm having. On all my runners and boots I'm rubbing a hole in the shoe with the back of my heel. This seems to be caused by my heel lifting in my shoe. Now I have tried different shoes smaller shoes and lacing tighter but I'm still getting lift (no blisters just holes). Any solutions? There has to be someone out there with the same problem that has the answers.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

So if your heel is lifting, would you deduce that you have a "narrow" heel? I have a narrow heel, and I've just had to find mfg's that build their shoe last on that shape. I've had really good luck with the "climbing" shoe mfg's like Sportiva or Salomon or Asolo. Once you find the mfg that has a last (the shape) that fits your foot, stick with that brand. They will typically remain true thru their shoe line. You will just have to try on a bunch of shoes. Head to a store that has a big selection, bring your hiking socks, and work thru it. Good luck!

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

You should try some Inov8s. The heel counter can be custom heat molded by heating it with steam and then wearing the shoe. http://www.inov-8.com/Fine-Tuning-Fit.asp?L=26

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

I never thought of my heel being narrow but I guess it is what it is. I have Salomons XA3D now and its not as bad as my Vasque. My Vasque lasted about a month, my Salonons are about 4 months and the hole is starting to develop now. inov-8 look very interesting chances of trying on in my area are slim though. Is there something I can do to the shoes I have now to stop this?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have skinny feet. Salomons fit well. The best fit comes in the lightest shoes (which don't last as long). Best fitting shoes have been Mizuno and Saucony racing flats, which are marketed at long distance runners, who generally are thin people. I just started using Saucony Perigines, which have a good fit and are much more durable.

Your foot cannot be totally immobile in a shoe, you would cut off blood circulation. Now if you were wearing out a pair of socks in a week, I would be concerned. But wearing a hole in 3 or 4 months, might point to the quality of the sock. That would not concern me at all, other than if they are expensive socks. You might want to try other brands of socks. I find that light wool socks like Smart Wool do not last as long as other brands. I tend to wear out socks under the ball of my foot, because I buy my hiking shoes a little big, but the heels generally wear well.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

As to the sock thing weirdly enough I'm not wearing any holes in them, I use Smartwool and Wigwam sock.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I do think it's a matter of finding the right shoe brand that fits. I used to wear Salomon shoes until I tried Merrell (Moab mid and low cut, Goretex mid, and Trail Glove) and realized the Salomons had been too narrow for my feet – great shoes but not for me. Asics trail and road shoes also fit me well so I would put them in the same "fits like…" category. I tried a pair of New Balance MT101 and found those too narrow for me although they had just the right amount of cushion (I would put those with the Salomons in my "fits like…" category. I have a pair of Inov8 295s arriving today and will be able to report back on the fit soon.

Mike

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I actually have the exact same issue. REI started getting grumpy with me for returning shoes with this problem, citing that they must not fit right.

I haven't found a perfect solution either. I think different shoes just fit/wear different.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Hmmm, doesn't REI fit shoes in the store? Seems REI should be getting grumpy with their employees.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools