Topic

Philmont Backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Philmont Backpacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    terrance guidetti

@baloo

Locale: calif

In response to previous posts our crew was composed of 4 adults and 5 scouts. All of the scouts were 14 and most were of slight build. Although we had emphasized light gear for over a year, many of their packs ( with 6 days of food) exceeded the the recommendations for weight carried as % of body weight; hence, at times leaders carried more than their share.

Our tents varied greatly, but we did not carry any Phil tents. Most were in the 4 lb. range. I carried a MLD solomid (with a polycro floor velcroed to the perimeter netting; this worked very well at 19 oz. with stakes). We also had a lunar duo. My bag was a montbell ul #3, so my personal kit was very compact. Carried minimal clothes; cocoon hoody for insulation. As I said my personal kit was compact and ul, the volume of the food was what overwhelmed my Mariposa plus.

I have read Phil's good info on Philmont and found it quite helpful with preparing for our first trip to Philmont. I took note of their use of floor less tents (in spite of the official Philmont policy). With that in mind I velcroed the edges of my polycro ground sheet to the perimeter netting of my solomid before going to Philmont, just in case. I was glad I did because there was no way our ranger would allow us to use floor less tents. So it seems to depend on the ranger you have. Roll of the dice.

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Went to Philmont last summer, with two sister crews. Here is some of what we did:

The backpack I used was a Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus – it was plenty big enough. Members of our crew also used the Gossamer Gear Gorilla – on the initial day of a 4 day food carry its capacity was bit tight, but worked.

You'll get good at getting the food packs smaller (crushing the corners of the boxes, getting excess air out, etc.)

Most popular sleeping bag in our crews was Eureka Silver City (30 degrees). A few made the bag into a quilt (which was relatively easy enough, and also provided a extra measure of pride in being self sufficient with lightening up their gear)

We avoided using Philmont issued gear (too heavy & bulky).

For Shelter, Our crews used sil-nylon pyramids (Oware & Black Diamond). One with sil-nylon floor, the others polycro (taped into bath tub configuration)

We used 2L aluminum pots

We used Sil-Nylon Dining Fly (8 x 10)

Bear Ropes -AmSteel-Blue w/carabiners

Average carry weight across the crews = 25.3 lbs
    Measured just before we left base camp (with 3 days of food + 3 liters of water for each Scout, the distributed crew gear, and plus a few scouts were carrying the fuel)

Distributed base weight (fuel bottles empty) of our crew gear (including shelter)= 1.3 lbs each
    (The heavier things went to the bigger boys, the lightest went the to the smallest.)

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

If you go with ultralight gear you can get away with a pretty small pack. I took a small GoLite pack when I went and I had plenty of room for gear and food. You'll find that you discard much of the food they give you because it is simply inedible junk food. I think I took about half of the breakfast / lunch food that I was given. I really recommend bringing some of your own food, it will be a life saver.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

confused by a couple of posts.

remember that pots dont take up any significant room, IF you have your other gear INSIDE of them.

Cant see how this becomes an issue at all.

Sean Breen

@scout22

Hey Guys, i've been doing allot of research lately on your forums, and love all of the personable replies people give. Anyway I am going to be going to Philmont this summer with a bunch of guys from my troop (14 I think) and am currently looking for a pack. I read on this thread that many of you guys were taking a ul approach and using packs that were 60L and under. However I have been looking at the osprey aether 70L, and after going to REI I looked and researched a bit about the flash 65L. Do you guys think that these are grosely large, and willl make me want to pack too much, and have to end up leaving it at base camp? Thanks for letting me post on your thread!
    -Sean

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

My son is taking a Flash 65 to Philmont this summer. It has sufficient room to hold the bulky Philmont food. I think it's a great choice for a pack if you are going lightweight and not Ultra Light. My son's base weight is 14 lbs before food and water.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

Last summer, one of our crew members took a REI Flash 50 to Philmont. Worked great for him, plenty of room without any issues. The Scout was 14 years old and had a 11.8 lb base weight.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Do NOT assume that you can get leave food behind. Our crew was 15 and 16 year olds and we ate everything they supplied, plus everyting they grabbed from swap boxes. One evening, we cooked meals for 18 for a crew of 10, with no leftovers.

We did cooking official Philmont style, with everything in the pot. This allowed us to add corn to most meals. Many crews assumed the corn needed to be cooked separately, and left it in the swap box. Not true! It goes with almost everything. Our cooks got creative — yes, refried beans are tasty added to mac and cheese.

Sorting four days of food at base camp: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_underwood/4782813739/in/set-72157624347890249

Adding refried beans to mac and cheese: http://www.flickr.com/photos/walter_underwood/4783947296/in/set-72157624347890249

Also, don't decide that Larabars and Probars are bleah and skip them. Those are one of the main sources of fiber and will help avoid intestinal discomfort later in the trip. This is a point where the Advisor can "advise" firmly.

"As a leader ( with the additional gear we sometimes carry)" — wrong. You are an advisor. The Crew Leader is the leader. If there is extra crew gear, that is a crew responsibility. If it is "just in case" gear, go back and plan more.

Douglas Prosser
    BPL Member

@daprosser

Locale: Camarillo, California (SCAL)

Last time I went I used GossamerGear Mariposa Plus but I was carrying Ray-Way.com home made synthetic quilt that took up half the pack.

Next year when I go I will be taking the Gossamer Gear Gorilla. On my section hikes of the PCT the Gorilla will fit my Bearikade Expedition which is approximately what the space the Philmont food will take. In a lot of Philmont treks I never had more than 4.5-5 days of food.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools