Topic

Touring / Audax bike finished

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Touring / Audax bike finished

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Finally finished building up my old steel frame last night. Here is the finished article. Slightly odd looking! Seemed nice and comfy on the 15 miles to work this morning. Hopefully it will be used for touring and audax rides.

Need to start sewing a frame bag next…

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Nice job. Like the leather tape, the wheels look tough and the spinaci's can double as a pizza carrier. Hows the touring/packing over there?

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Hi Brent

Thanks, took a while but I think I'm finally getting the hang of adjusting a rear derailleur.

Touring here is ok I think! I've never done any bike touring abroad to compare it with though. I did Lands end to John O'Groats a couple of years ago as well as London to Edinburgh. Some of that was staying in B&B's and hostels but I also had a spinnshelter in my panniers that I used a few nights.

That was on this same frame but using parts from a road bike, and it was geared too high. My Achilles hurt a lot by the time I got to John O'Groats. So I've rebuilt it with MTB gears, and will be packing lighter on future tours (no panniers).

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Title says it all really. These are On One Midge bars. Very comfy.

new bars

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

The do look REALLY nice! Do those bars kinda give you more flat bar-like space when you are "on the tops"? I mean, functionality apart from looking awesome :-)

That is one sexy bike.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Thanks! Yeah they provide a decent flat space on the top, or you can rest your hands on the hoods, or on the drops. The drops are really comfortable.

Have put on lighter wheels and tyres, and some nice slim mudguards.

Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

Could be the picture but it sure looks like a long reach to your break levers. Is that the case or is it me?
    Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools