Topic

Bearikade Expedition MKII / Outsak UL / Bear Vault BV500

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bearikade Expedition MKII / Outsak UL / Bear Vault BV500

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Well, that Bearikade is very, very cool. I'd also go for the big one, were I to spend that much, for the ability to carry more volume, if not density.

However, being a mere mortal and owning both a Garcia and a BearVault 500, I have to say the BV500 is a solid win for us in terms of utility-to-weight. Big opening, nice, translucent sides so I can show off my sweaty veal to Ken (not to mention see what I'm looking to get out, for real), simple to open and close and a real nice, stable stand for my canister stove. Ours has survived a thorough inspection by Yogi Bear (and, come to think of it, Mr. Ranger) and since it weighs "way" less than the old Garcia, I feel like it's a bonus when we use it. I use the leftover cash we saved over the Bearikade for gas money…

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have both sizes of Bearikades and also an older Bear Vault (mine is no longer approved). Love the Bearikades. More room, less weight, easy to open. At the time that I bought the Bearikades, another factor for me was that Bear Vault had to redesign their lid several times (the reason my old one is no longer acceptable) in order to get re-approved after apparent failures, while the Bearikades had a clean record. This may not be a factor anymore – I think the current BV lid design has been working well as far as keeping the bruins out. I did have issues with getting my old BV open sometimes. One thing I really like about the Bearikades is that I can easily get into it while it is in my pack if I just want a snack on the trail. I could never do that with the BV, it had to come out to be opened. I have not regretted for one second spending the extra cash for the Bearikades.

I have found that I take my Bearikades even when I am in areas where they are not required, if I know bears may be around and smaller critters definitely will. The Emigrant Wilderness, for instance, does not require them, but I am done with hanging my food, which I would have to do there if not using a canister, if only due to the little guys.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Paul, there was a time when the early Bear Vaults were noticed to have the lid latch weakness, and Bear Vault redesigned the lid latch. They offered the new one to customers who had the old one. So, a buddy of mine notified Bear Vault, and they sent him a free new one. Now he has a new one and an old one.

–B.G.–

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I have a BV450 and 500 and love them. Well, as much as one can love a giant hunk of heavy plastic in your pack. The bearikades look fantastic, but egads man! The price!

Maybe when I'm older, wiser, and wealthier I'll be able to afford one.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools