Topic

Recommendations for tasty winter meals for YOUTH

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Recommendations for tasty winter meals for YOUTH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm taking a bunch of youth on their first serious winter camping trip, sleeping in igloos and quinzhees. We'll be pulling pulks (also known as sleds for these boys), so I'm not worried as much about weight.

What meals are your favorites that are rich in flavor and will warm up two-legged popsicles?

One of the boys wants to make biscuits and gravy. This might be great winter fare with the fat and carbs but I'm a bit concerned about cleanup at slightly below freezing!

I'm thinking of a beef stew and perhaps a chicken curry for dinners, plenty of hot chocolate throughout the day, but I'm a bit stumped for lunch and breakfast.

Curtis

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Any kind of ramen noodle soup ought to work. You can always add some extra meat, vegetables, etc.

As long as it is wet, hot, and smells good, they will eat it.

–B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> Any kind of ramen noodle soup ought to work. You can always add some extra meat, vegetables, etc.

+1. Ramen Pot Pie! See Trailcooking.com

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It's kind of tacky, but I've brought frozen pizzas on snow camping trips. They're cheap, easy, high-calorie and kids love them. Especially easy on a cabin trip with a wood stove (put it in a aluminum-foil tent on top of the stove, but you can set up seomthing over a propane stove as well if you bring a metal pie plate.

Pre-made beef stew is great. I wouldn't freeze it since it isn't going to spoil and a 4-pound block of frozen stew takes a LONG time to thaw. zip-lock bag in a pot in cothes to keep it from freezing before mealtime.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Beef stew is good – consider it served over mashed taters for more filling with plenty of cheese on top.

Lunch? Make wraps or quesidallas that are all melty – again, since they are younger let them be a bit less healthy. Even PB and chocolate chips melted are great but chicken, cheese and more? Delicious.

Think easy to eat for snacks – potato chips for example or homemade fudge.

On biscuits and gravy? Easy! Just use a non-stick pan for the gravy and wipe out with a paper towel when done, gets the grease out. You can't go wrong with it for breakfast and you can always pack in prebaked biscuits you steam up.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Frozen Jimmy Dean hash, with potato dices, sausage, pepper dices, onions, etc. They are delicious! I have them for breakfast, but they would be good for supper also. I usually have steak and potatoes for supper. Pulling gear on a sled you can get away with some heavy stuff.

Brian Austin

@footeab

A bit counter intuitive, but bring ice cream. Eat after dinner and everyone is DRY. Caveat, make sure everyones sleep system is Way OVER RATED along with their footwear in regards to warmth. VBL(vapor Barrier Layer) eh hem… Means everyone will warm up faster after yakking for a long time.

More importantly, make a fire. Bring saw and candles for starting said fire easily. Bring a metal grill along to keep fire off of the snow. Logs underneath. "chairs" around the fire. See below.

Most important, snow shovel, but I am sure you already know that. Let the kids make a dinning area complete with table and chairs. They will think its great fun if approached the right way.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

These are awesome ideas! For some reason I didn't get a notification despite watching the thread. I've premade all my backpacking meals ala trailcooking.com but didn't think about premaking the stew and the like. Great suggestions for snacks, lunches, and especially the non-stick pan for biscuits and gravy. I have a sneaking suspicion that my diet is going to suffer but everyone will be happy and well-fed.

Thanks to all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools