Topic

Cheap, light tent stakes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cheap, light tent stakes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

So my MYOG tarp is almost complete, but all I have are some old heavy stakes that I'd love to replace with something lighter. Is anyone out there using something light weight and cheap (if not free) that works? Once I get the stakes I can finally pitch my tarp! I was thinking of using a metal clothes hanger and cutting it up to make a stakes or two but I worried about their strength and they seem to bend pretty easily. Any ideas?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

As a test, I made some stakes out of ordinary clothes hanger wire. They are better than nothing, but they don't hold very good and they will get bent easily.

Standard titanium shepherd's stakes work the best for me on the soil that I run into here in California, so I normally carry about eight of them for my shelter. I also carry one SMC snow stake, the curved aluminum type, but it sees more use as a trowel.

You have to test your soil and then decide if you need something that you can simply push into the soil with your hands, or whether you need something massive enough that you will drive it in by pounding it with a rock.

–B.G.–

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I use aluminum gutter spikes with a hole drilled just under the head with a short loop of chord tied on to make pulling them out easy. Home Depot sell them in a pack of 10. Not as light as titanium, but cheap.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Jon Denham

@jmden

http://www.rei.com/product/794293/rei-tri-stake-tent-stake

14.69g/.519 oz. on my scale.

Only a $1 each and 7075 Al. As a combination of durability, holding power, price and weight, these are hard to beat.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

bob hit on it. you really need to determine what is suitable for your environment.

I will say this generally:

Ti Shepherd for mid-hard ground under mild-mid wind conditions

MSR Groundhogs for soft soil under heavy wind conditions

Sno stake for snow/liquid mud crap under heavy wind

Base your decision on the hardness of your soil and the intensity of your winds

Chase

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Chopsticks!

Chase Norton

@micronorton

hmmm, I wonder how chopsticks would hold up if you put heat shrink over them…..

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I use 10" bamboo chopsticks. So far so good.

Sam Jones

@sam-pangolin

Locale: London, UK

Dual use I assume? Does the tarp hold up ok during dinner?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools