Topic

Snowshoe side-to-side knee torque

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Snowshoe side-to-side knee torque

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So I borrowed my parents' cheapie snowshoes for a little walk this weekend. By "cheapie" I mean $60 Sam's Club cheap. Anyways, I noticed that with every step, it would feel like they were wobbling side-to-side and putting a sideways torque on my knees. It didn't hurt, but I could feel it. Not good over long distances with a load.

Was I using them improperly?

Is this indicative of crappy snowshoes?

Has anyone experienced this with a good quality setup?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Is it during the swing or as you are stepping down? Snowshoes definitely have mass so there is a different feeling than just walking. If they aren't balanced side to side that could generate torque as you accelerate them through the step.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Didn't feel any of that the other day with my MSR Evo tours.

you could see if a friend has some better ones or maybe rent a pair for the day from a local shop or EMS? It is hard to say without seeing the ones you have in action what is going wrong.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very hard to say without seeing the shoes in action.

One definite possibility is that there was a build-up of packed snow under the middle of the shoes, so that you were standing on 'high heels in the middle'. That will make you wobble!

Cheers

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

you borrow a bicycle, because you do not ride all the time anyway, then you go out cold and put 30 miles on it .. and .. your butt is gonn'a HURT. (we know this ! )

snowshoes are like that.

if you are in otherwise strong shape, so you can Really overdo it, there is a muscle up the front of your shin that will be hit pretty hard. distance snowshoeing is an acquired taste.

v.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll need to try at least one other pair (a good one) to compare.

With a proper fitting and balanced snowshoe, should my gait be the same as regular walking, or is there a "technique," aside from new muscle soreness that Peter mentions?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"One definite possibility is that there was a build-up of packed snow under the middle of the shoes, so that you were standing on 'high heels in the middle'. That will make you wobble!"

I've seen that very problem. It can be minimized by spraying light oil over the bottom side of the snowshoes and boot soles and the binding area of the snowshoes.

–B.G.–

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Re: buildup…. I'll have to be cognizant of that next time I go shoeing.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

He said he felt weird torquing.. not shin pain. snowshoes shouldn't wobble. Cheap models aren't going to have as good binding or frame attachment so that is a red flag there.

I put mine on for the first time ever in the snow and after 100 yards it felt just like walking normal and did 2.5mph with a few stops and not trying to walk quickly. That is after not snowshoeing in the last 5 years. I even did a few sprints for fun at 8mph according to my garmin ;)

(also cycling with a correct set up doesn't hurt your butt, but someone who borrows a bike won't know that)

Cooking spray is a good way to keep things from getting snow clogged up. I do that to my snow shovel a few times a winter so doing the driveway is easier.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Good stuff, Jake. Thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools