Topic

Make a Missing Link type tent out of Silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make a Missing Link type tent out of Silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I have a Missing Link tent that I like, but it is both silicone coated and polyurethane coated. I have a bunch of excellent silnylon and I was wondering if anyone has made one similar to this or similar to a "Baker Tent". My motive is to make a lighter version, using the tent I have as a pattern or at least a starting point.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Funny, I thought the same thing about 6 months ago. I had a extra Golite SL2 bathtub floor that I shortened and I transformed into a missing link. I made it a wedge on the back with a guy in the middle, and then I made the sides and front noseeum, then I never got a zipper or figured out how I wanted to install a zipper and gave up. Also I planned on making side flaps over the mesh and a beak in the front. It was all made out of silnylon except for the floor, it weighed about 2 pounds.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I have a bunch of Sil-Nylon that needs to be put to use and I always thought I could improve on the Missing link with an all Sil-Nylon version that had a true vestibule. To get in and out, you would also need a way to open the vestibule. I'm guessing that in Sil, even with an extended vestibule that the tent shouldn't weigh much more than two pounds. Just batting it around to see if anyone had any ideas.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That's sort of like a "Hunter's Lean To"

I would worry the open side would be prone to wind. I made sort of a similar tent which failed catostrophically. You want all sides of the tent near the ground for best wind resistance.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I don't see how you'd get it to weigh less with essentially the same fabric that the Missing Link and Fast Stash already use. The only places I see to save weight is with 30D fabric for the floor and nanoseeum mesh, that is, unless you opt for the new lighter silnylon that TiGoat or Rota Lucura might sell…or change the design. Adding a vestibule isn't going to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools