Topic

Kala Pattar packlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Kala Pattar packlist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John April

@johnapril

Here's my pack list for a trek to Kala Pattar summit in the Everest region of Nepal:

ULA CDT Backpack (630 g)

PHD Hispar 500 sleeping bag (960 g)
    Jag Bag (100 g)

Mountain Hardware Phantom down jacket (450 g)
    RAB Photon insulated windproof (520 g)
    TNF Summit Series lightweight windbreaker (80 g)
    Icebreaker Techtop 360 merino zipneck (360 g)
    Patagonia Capilene 3 crew top (220 g)
    Arc'teryx Ether Comp Crew short sleeve shirt (100 g)

REI softshell pants (500 g)
    Fjallraven G-1000 trekking pants (420 g)
    Mountain Hardware Powerstretch leggings (207 g)
    Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 merino leggings (200 g)
    Arc'teryx Incendo Shorts (100 g)

2x Icebreaker merino underwear (70 g)
    1x synthetic underwear (90 g)
    3x Smart Wool walking socks (216 g)
    3x Smart Wool liner socks (210 g)

Inov-8 Terroc 345 GORE-TEX trainers (760 g)
    Superfeet insoles (100 g)

Turtle Fur wool cap (80 g)
    Lowe fleece gloves (50 g)
    Outdoor Research glove liners (40 g)

trekking pole (20 g)
    Platypus 1 liter water bottle (1000 g weight full)
    Chlorine water treatment
    Sunblock
    Hand alcohol/sanitizing gel
    Toilet roll
    Ear plugs
    Doc bag with toiletries and medicines
    Sunshades
    Petzl Zipka2 headtorch (60 g)
    Exped folding drybags (150 g)
    Notepad and pen (380 g)
    Book (300 g)
    Alarm clock (60 g)
    Tilley wide brimmed sun hat (100 g)
    Lip balm
    knee braces
    Samsung camera (300 g)
    MSR microfiber travel towel (90 g)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might explain your method for trekking there. Some people go on an organized trek led by a Sherpa, and lots of gear is provided along with meals. Some people go without any guide, and they stay in tea houses and buy the occasional meal there. Some people go without any guide, and they camp out in a yak pasture someplace and cook completely on their own. It also kind of depends on which point you are starting from. "Chlorine water treatment" is kind of ambiguous. Did you mean Chlorine Dioxide, or something else? Lots of the rivers up there are polluted, so that is why it is important to know the starting point. You also need to mention an approximate date since the weather changes a lot from season to season. I'm guessing that it is either the pre-monsoon season or else the post-monsoon season. A lot of stuff might need to go into your Doc Bag. Are you going solo or with a group?

–B.G.–

John April

@johnapril

I will trek solo, starting at Lukla, between 13-26 March, without guide or porter. The trail has plentiful teahouses for shelter and meals. I will use those rather than a tent and my own stores. Most of the water I will use is boiled water from the teahouses. For emergencies I'll carry a chlorine treatment–something I fetch in Kathmandu–or iodine tablets.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

On the first time I trekked up there, we were descending toward the Dudh Kosi River. We were pretty hot, and we wanted to splash some river water over our faces before we continued. The Sherpa guide told is not to, because it was a sacred river and bad luck would befall us if we dipped our hands into it. We did not want to disrespect the Sherpa, so we continued on our way.

Later on, I figured out what the truth was. That river is downstream from many villages that have no waste treatment at all, and "everything" ends up in the river. It was not bad kharma to dip into the river. It was simply a viral field. Without knowing what water treatment you intend to use, it is hard to say.

You want a sleeping bag good for near freezing temperature (inside the tea house), worst case, and some DDT powder for the lice or bed bugs.

The rhododendren forest ought to be nice at that season.

On one trek, all of the water that we drank had supposedly been boiled by the Sherpa cook staff. But then the majority of the trekkers got sick with Giardia by the end of the trek. The Sherpas might boil the water, but then pour it into an unclean vessel.

–B.G.–

John April

@johnapril

Thanks, Bob. I trekked the Annapurna circuit in 1998 and discovered the same foul water you describe. I was using iodine and vitamin C to clear it up and improve the taste in those days. What's your suggestion for water purification?

My PHD bag is rated for -15 C. I hauled a 5-lb Marmot CWM MemBrain -40 C bag up to Gokyo last February and it was way too hot, so I'm banking on Peter Hutchinson's superior 900 fill-power down and the quarter zip to greatly reduce my load.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Iodine is fairly powerful as water treatment, but the vitamin C may be necessary as a follow-up since the taste is bad. Boiling the water yourself is also fairly effective, but then that requires a good stove and fuel. Chlorine Dioxide, I think, is less powerful, but it has less of a taste problem. If you are paranoid, then do some combination. A filter would have to be awfully good to work here.

I've trekked there twice, and I was super careful about water. Somehow I don't get sick from the water, but too many others have terrible luck.

Don't forget about the bugs.

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools