Topic

FTZP day pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear FTZP day pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

After reading the "Where Do you design at ?" thread. I decided to post a pack of my creation I have been using for a while it called the FTZP day pack or Flip Top Zip Top day pack. I used my bendable ruler to design it.

So here it it is the FTZP day pack it about 15 liters what nice about it has waterproof zipper top closer that can be flipped over for smaller loads and left extended for a larger load. It has silver Xpac back and bottom,Thru hiker grid X dyeemna for the rest of the pack fabric.I used 5/8 inch webbing for the straps and compression straps,It has no waist belt and all ITW Nexus hardwear: Jet ladder lock buckles,Sternum strap hardware,Pack cord management hooks.
    I decided to do a experiment with a fully breathable shoulder straps using only 3D foam mesh back to back. Instead of of using Cross grain ribbon I used 1 inch flat webbing folded over on the edges of shoulder straps
    I have found it is a very strong shoulder strap construction method but it not a soft pliable edge as cross grain ribbon. I also used stretchable mesh pockets with elastic webbing edging.

The pack cord management hooks are sewed to Hypalon patches use a loop of elastic cord to connect the to hooks when lid is flipped down.Compressed 1/4 inch foam back pad insert for the back.

FTZP photos:
    Ftzp front

FTZP front top extended

FTZP side

I have been getting older I really need a internal frame pack in larger packs for myself for hauling heavier loads. I really like the Mystery ranch packs futura frame system. I do not have the money or proper equipment to make larger packs of my dreams. So I am going to stick to small day packs with my home machine.
    I think the FTZP Pack Design at about 25 liters would make a great over night SUL weight summer pack for the SUL crowd.
    Terry

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

This IS BPL, so what does it weigh????!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Mark,
    I don't own a scale I usually go to the Post Office and weigh backpacking items. But Guesstimating it weighs about 1 pound or under.
    Terry

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

That is a great design Terry. If you have plans, you should post them.

I'm certain there are a few of us who would try it. I particularly like the folding zipper idea, as I normally do roll tops but that looks easier to access.

Chase Norton

@micronorton

you don't own a scale??? ;-)

Really nice looking pack. Love the lid

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Chase,
    Thank you for the kind comments on my pack design.
    I use to own a electronic postal scale when I was flying RC hand launch gliders because you really had to shave grams to make a glider with a lower weight wing loading. Then the scale fell off my work bench and broke.

With backpacking I usually just pack it with my gear and weigh myself with out the pack on and then the pack on. Do the math to find out heavy my backpack load will be on trip. Plus I am more concerned with the total overall weight of what will be on my back for that trip.

I also have better things to spend my money on than postal scale right now in my life. When I do want to weigh individual equipment I made. I go to the post office and use their scales because their very accurate because the post office has them calibrated every few months .

When I do guesstimating I have canned foods in varying weight.I hold the can in one hand and the pack in the other to get a feel for the weight. Then I switch can and pack to other hand if it feels lighter than the can.I know it lighter than measured can food weight.
    Terry

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Terry, great looking pack, I really like the zipper top closure, nice idea! It has the benefits of both a zipper and roll top pack.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools