Topic

Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Whats your favorite backpacking breakfast bar?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I eat the Quaker oatmeal to go bars. Taste good, but kinda bulky and are 120 calories / oz.
    Seems like there must be a better option out there

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Snickers

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Blueberry Pop Tarts, secured in the bottom of my cook pot.

Counts as a fruit serving, optimistically.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Usually whatever sounded good and I made before the trip!

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Trout sautéed in olive oil, if available. Otherwise oatmeal loaded with dried fruit.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

IF i had to choose a bar of sorts…
    i dig on the oskri coconut bars, any flavor, though the choc. covered is B-O-S-S.
    http://www.oskri.com/en/products/109/oskri-bars/coconut-bars/
    they make smaller versions too…90 cal.
    perfect scooby snacks.
    but for breakfast, i prefer the full-on, caloric-ladened, full-fat version that teems with nutrition and bursts with flavor.
    keeps me primed for a good few hours even.
    lt

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Probar is my favorite store-bought bar for breakfast. I was a week into hiking the JMT and already tired of Clif Bars. Met BPL member Andrew and he gave me half a dozen ProBars (and a pair of hiking poles!) Made breakfasts much better. Not quite as sweet and much bigger than most of the others. Expensive at $3.50, but under $0.01/calorie.

I like Art's Original and Whole Berry Blast, though I haven't tried all the flavors.

Art's Original is:
    370 calories
    85 grams total including:
    48 grams carbs, including:
    6 grams fiber
    18 grams sugars
    18 grams fats
    10 grams protein

Will Webster

@willweb

Logan bars (thanks to Bob Gross for the recipe)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Anything by Bear Valley. Although Larabars work if I don't have time for the mail.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

The only bars I actually like are cherry pie larabars, so if it must be a bar, that's the one. I usually eat bars for snacks and not breakfast, though.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Check out 'Stoats' bars. Made in Scotland, but there are US stockists on their website. Details here

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

I am usually eating whichever recipe I am trying that trip. For an awesome list of recipes, including Bob Gross's logan bread (tasty), check out the following thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40938

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I really like balance bars

Chad Ware

@ware4

Locale: Northwest Georgia

3C Instant Oats
    3/8C Honey
    3/8C Maltose
    1C Peanut Butter
    Dried fruits
    M&M's

Warm the honey, maltose and Peanut butter over low heat. Mix the liquids into the oats and fruit, warming for a few seconds in the microwave if it becomes too stiff. Add the M&M's last. Spread on wax paper and roll about 1/2" thick. Cut into bars.

This is my adaptation of a powerbar recipe I found online. Substituted the maltose for half the honey, which yields a much less 'gooey' bar. Added the dried fruit (usually bananas and strawberries, but can be anything I have on hand) and the M&M's for flavor and calories.

They are outstanding!

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Personally, I plan my meals around the expected temperatures of the day.

Here in FL, it's not unusual to have temperatures of 40-ish in the mornings in the "winter" and in the 80s with 100% humidity in the summer mornings. So, my breakfast varies.

During the summer months, I tend to carry peanut butter espresso fudge; this is the bog-standard Fluff recipe with an half-pot of Cafe Bustelo added to the mix. It doesn't melt at normal FL summer temperatures, has enough sugar and fat to boost one's calories in the morning, contains the caffeine that I'm addicted to, and–most importantly when it's that warm out– doesn't require me to wait an half-hour for it to cool down before I can eat it.

During the cooler months (when it's below 70 in the mornings), I tend not to eat breakfast bars; instead I use a melange of instant coffee, Carnation Instant Breakfast, and Nido (whole milk powder). If I were to eat a breakfast bar, though, it would probably be Pop Tarts of one flavor or another.

Joshua Welbaum

@jshwelbaum

Locale: Northwest
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A large bowl of home-made raw muesli. (Pretty solid stuff.)

I have eaten breakfast bars when there was nothing else, but …

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger- we need the recipe of the raw Muesli.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I foolishly ordered 8lbs of pemmican bars from US Wellness Meats without ever having tasted them. So those will be my favorite bars, like 'em or not.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

My dad and I shared one of these on the trail in like '94.

We still talk about how bad those things are.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Whew! The bars came yesterday. I was a bit afraid to try one. I had one for breakfast this morning and was happy to discover that they are pretty good. The texture didn't bother me. The flavor was quite good. I'm really happy I like them. I can't wait to bring them backpacking, possibly this weekend. I can probably get by on just 3 bars a day. My food bag will be so light.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger- we need the recipe of the raw Muesli.
    No fixed recipe, but …
    5 kg raw steam-rolled oats
    0.5 kg Bran
    0.5 kg wheat germ
    0.5 kg sultanas
    0.5 kg raisins
    0.25 kg currants
    0.5 kg dried figs
    0.5 kg dried apricots
    0.25 kg dried apple
    0.5 kg peanuts
    0.25 kg walnuts
    0.25 kg macadamia nuts
    0.1 kg sliced almonds
    plus, optional, dried banana or dried pineapple or dried cherries or …

Mix in 20 L drum
    Lasts me about 3 months
    Served at home with apple juice (instead of milk), home-made natural yoghurt and home-made fresh fruit salad. OK, piggy.

Cheers

Kevin Peterson

@mtkevin

I wouldn’t classify these raw protein bars as just a breakfast bar but they are worth sharing with you here. I am always looking for better supplements to put in my pack that don't take up much space and provide as much nutrition as I can find. I also use these protein bars after workouts or as a meal replacement and they're incredible. They are called Dale’s Raw Protein Bars. They come in a 3" x 3 1/2" pouch and weigh @ 60 grams or just over 2 oz. They range from 240-280 calories, 22 g protein, 12-28g carb, 12-16g fat depending on which flavor you choose. They are like cookie dough consistency. I have tried the blueberry machadamia and the cafe mocha ones, both really good. They are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, no artificial preservatives or sweeteners! He uses all fresh ingredients and actually makes them after you place your order.This guy started this biz less than a year ago and it has exploded. He owns a gym in Florida and started making these protein bars for himself. Once a few people tried them they convinced him to make them to sell. You can't buy them at any store just at his website (link below). A little pricey but worth it. Make sure you hide them from your kids or they will inhale them ) Rather than bash all of the other products I have carried in my pack I suggest you take whatever you currently like and compare ingredients. Please forward this link to any other friends that may be interested. These have found a permanent spot on my backpack checklist. Enjoy…

Dale's Raw Protein Bars – Best on the Planet!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My fav breakfast time bar is whatever flavor/brand I did not eat for breakfast the day before.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools