Topic

working bike pump?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring working bike pump?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

i need a bike pump. i need something light, packable (or easily attached to frame), and better still, something reliable, that WORKS (think: right-hand man)
    perhaps i'm not spedning enough on something decent enough, or maybe it's a run of bad luck, but the pervading issue is that plastic sucks.
    it cracks, breaks, and is then renders itself useless.
    i don't mind throwing down loot, but at this point, i refuse to compromise quality.
    recommendations?
    thanks much.
    lt

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Mini pumps, you are going to find to get up to the right PSI. Even with the ones with high pressure low pressure switches.
    I found a classic zefal http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/109-hpx-classic.html by the side of the road biking once and this thing can do anything a floor pump can do. Comes with a frame mount, i usually just slide it in my backpack/messenger bag though.

What PSI do you run?

j lan

@justaddfuel

This might be worth looking at though!
    http://www.rei.com/product/779850/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-pump

I have torn off valves a number of times using small pumps, so the hose is appealing.

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

Leslie,
    The Topeak Road Morph ( http://www.topeak.com/pages/343/news/detail/41 ) is my favorite pump for bike touring. It has a hose with a pressure guage that helps prevent breaking stems off of presta tubes. It also comes with a foot peg that allows stability like a big floor pump. Yes it does have parts made of plastic but I haven't had any durability issues with mine. Since you have an aversion to plastic you might also look at the Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump.
    ( http://www.rei.com/product/779850/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-pump ). It's all metal with a cleaver reversable hose system that connects to either Presta or Schraeder vale stems without having to change the head. I carry the Lezyne on my road bike.
    Best,
    Carl

Steve G

@sgrobben

Locale: Ohio

Lezyne has a pretty good reputation for durability. I also have the Topeak Road Morph and have had no issues with it. I rarely ever use my frame/mini pumps as they are really only built for occasional or emergency use. If you have a good floor pump, decent tires, and top off your pressure before leaving home you should rarely need the frame pump. Maybe you're doing a lot of long distance touring on bad roads.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Topeak Mountain Morph for me.

Leslie Thurston

@lesler

Locale: right here, right now

cool, thanks all.
    i'll research the suggested.
    one for the road:
    the most widely used bike repair/maintenance book/bible– if one exists?
    thanks again.
    lt

j lan

@justaddfuel

Steve G

@sgrobben

Locale: Ohio

Between Park Tools maintenance articles on their website and YouTube you can learn anything you need to know for free. If you still want a book check out Lennard Zinn.

Tony Mason

@tonymason

I second the Lezyne. Light, durable, reliable
    Just a beautiful piece of equipment

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I have not had any problems with my Lezyne M alloy drive. Get the M or L, so you can use the optional gauge hose with it, as well as move a reasonable amount of air

Ron Berry

@squishware

Locale: Southwest Florida

I've had my Lezyne for a number of years, still rocks. The plastic holder broke in a crash, I just put it in a butt pack now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools