Topic

Functional Secondary Air System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Functional Secondary Air System

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

I've carried an Ikea wood stove.. cost me 6 bucks and two cutting disk using a dremel

Takes me roughly 60 seconds to find the fuel I need to start it. Never had a problem starting that fire in cold weather, rainy weather or windy weather.

If your camping in the woods I just don't understand why more people don't carry it. Fits perfectly on the outside of an MSR Titan Kettle. Tons of room inside for storing your favourite spices or whatever else you need.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If your camping in the woods I just don't understand why more people don't carry it."

Wood fires are prohibited in some areas. Other than that, you are welcome to carry it.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Do a little re-reading and it will become easier to understand.

Read my lips!!!! No double wall needed for good wood burner. :-)

No secondary combustion in the BushBuddy stove.

No flammable gas coming through the top holes of the bushbuddy, just plain air.

No gasses flow downward through the grate and up the space between the two walls of the bushbuddy.

The stove that Magnus has shown is his creation and is of a style not wanted by the average everyday backpacker wishing to burn twigs. His type of stove will work well with wood pellets and super dry wood shavings. Magnus admits that his type of stove is more finicky than a lot of alcohol stoves. My experience with his type of stove is exactly the same as what he experiences. They are a Pain In The Arse. They are not user friendly. They are a unique experience to build and play with. I suggest everyone to at least try one out as a DIY project.

Corey, your Ikea stove is a classic DIY easy stove to make. Stainless steel, rugged as all getout. A great choice of product to begin with for a stove.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

These photos show the flame pattern of a single wall stove. Air rising up the side of the can enter through the top holes to make it look like jets of gas. It's just air pushing into the rising flames that causes the affect. The holes do a nice job of concentrating the flames to the center of the fire box.

A simple single wall stove is all that is needed to heat 2 cups of water or boil a gallon.

<center>
    </center>

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This stove is a single wall. It has an air infusor to bring up air through the center. It greatly improves the burn. The stove is made from a 1 quart paint can.

The large one is a video from photobucket. I don't know why it turned out so large. Click on it to activate.

when watching the video look for the flame pattern bing made by the incoming air through the top holes and focuing the flames to the center of the can. This is a single wall, quart size can.

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Here is a diagram for the control of primary incoming air at the base of a stove.

air control
    <center>

</center>

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I bumped this thread up for those that might be interested in the claims made by folks saying there is secondary burn occurring in the Bushbuddy and Trail Designs Ti-Tri Inferno.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

bump for questions regarding secondary burn stoves

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools