Topic

R1 vs Melanzana micro grid hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) R1 vs Melanzana micro grid hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Which is warmer?
    The R1 is 2.85 oz heavier according to my scale, so I want to see if it's worth the weight.
    I keep trying them side by side and I can't seem to tell the difference indoors.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

Comparatively I'm not sure which is warmer, but I've been super pleased with the melanzana hoodies. I would think the slimmer fit of the r1 along with the thumb loops might give it an edge.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

"Comparatively I'm not sure which is warmer, but I've been super pleased with the melanzana hoodies. I would think the slimmer fit of the R1 along with the thumb loops might give it an edge."

Warmer: both seem too similar to call.
    Slimmer: to me, the Melanzana feels more trim but both have a chest measurement of 56 inches (XL size, but they have not been washed in a VERY LONG time).
    The Melanzana sleeves are about an inch shorter and thumbloops would be nice but the hood on the Melanzana has the best fit and easily performs more functions as a neck gaiter, a regular hood or cinched up to cover as much of you face as needed.
    With the cuffs, extra panels and zipper, the R1 just seems a bit over-built. I'll take the basic Melanzana everytime and everywhere.

Ben F

@tekhna

Isn't the fabric all basically the same? I doubt there's much warmth difference between any microgrid hoody. I bought the military version and the R1 and kept the military version because it was the same d*mn thing, but 25 bucks instead of 125.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Just to confuse matters more there are the MEC and Rab versions of the 'Polartec Power Dry hoody' too.

MEC T3 Stretch Hoody:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/BaseLayerUnderwear/ExpeditionWeight/PRD~5016-259/mec-t3-stretch-hoodie-mens.jsp

Rab Baseline Hoody:

http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/baselayer/baseline-hoodie.html

I believe there could be at least three different 'weights' of Power Dry. Certainly my Rab Power Dry liner gloves are very thin compared to my MEC hoody although both feature the same micro grid construction and dry quickly.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

they arent the same fabric. The R1 is faced on the outside with another layer with the grid on the inside, the melanzana has grid on outside and a felted surface kind of on the inside.

The melanzana is great to wear around all the time. For me, the R1 is too technical-ish looking for casual wear. On my melanzana L, the sleeves are long enough just barely, that if I wanted to put thumbholes I could. However, not needed. It weighs right at 11oz I recall, it is plenty long too, I considered cutting 2" off, but decide it wouldnt save enough wt to bother. I did replace the drawcord and toggle with smaller and lighter, just because I had them laying around.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

@Joe: NW Alpine makes a hoody (Spider Light) out of micro grid fleece, quoting 10oz for a medium.
    http://nwalpine.com/black-spider-light-hoody

Rab doesn't advertise it, but their baseline hoody tags mark it as "polartec power dry high efficiency." I don't know why they wouldn't advertise using the more premium (?) fabric.

All these hoodies are trying to achieve the same thing, with more or less different feature sets. Mix and match to pick what's best for you.

The NW Alpine and Melanzana are US-made (NW Alpine sources all their materials for this piece from the USA, while the Melanzana is at least sewn in Colorado) and feature a micro-grid fleece.

The Patagonia, MEC, and Rab feature fairly similar versions of power dry.

NW Alpine, Patagonia, MEC, and Rab all feature 1/2 zips and thumb loops. Melanzana lacks these.

NW Alpine and Patagonia Zips curve off to the side, away from your mouth.

NW Alpine, Patagonia, and Rab feature a chest pocket.

NW Alpine, MEC, and Rab are more form-fitting than "slim." Patagonia's is "slim" and Melanzana is "regular."

I'm sure that list is incomplete.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I haven't tried the others so I can't compare, but the way the hood can be worn loose or closed up like a balaclava on the Melanzana with only the eyes and nose exposed is something I really like.

Also the grid pattern makes it more hydrophobic than other fleeces. I believe that the R1 also has this, but don't know about others.

Great for hiking and sleeping in cold damp weather.

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

FWIW, I don't know anything about R1 vs Melanzana insulation, but the hood on the Melanzana is outstanding. You can cinch it around your neck for comfort, or cinch it on head to fit around googles.

The pocket on the Melanzana hoodie is great for holding anything that you want. I've accidentally put my car keys in there, and hiked the full trip without them falling out.

I've got two of the Melanzana hoodies, and my wife has one. Love 'em. We wear them all the time…of course we're biased being from Colorado!

Cheers,
    Jim

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Got a hoody from Röjk some weeks ago. It fits fantastic, but has no zipper. It is also light and very warm and a good alternative for someone who lives in Europe.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

I have both. This BPL. So my main concern was the weight. (M) R1 10.99 oz. (M) melanzana 9.465 oz, after replacing the draw cord elastic. Love the pocket on the Mel, and the versatile hood configurations. Dries fast when worn on the move and can be worn around a fire without worry of sparks. Mel is also cheaper.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Hey Joe. I find the arms on the R1 hoody unusually tight, and I'm a lean guy. How do the arms on the MEC feel to you? Thanks.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

By the way, I have weathered many rain and even snow storms wearing just a hooded wind shirt over the Melanzana hoodie.

I do get wet, but the combination seems to create enough dead air space to keep the chill off, until I stop hiking of course and then the layers go on.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

Glad i read this thread. have had a love hate relationship with my r1 for a while now. love the coverage, hate the ninja look (my wife wont let me wear it out in public so it becomes a single use, backcountry only item). also wasnt too keen on the super-slim athletic fit.

WELL, just got my melanzana micro grid hoody in the mail (complete with cash register receipt and hand written thank you) and instantly fell in love with the fabric, the kangaroo pocket, the versatile hood, and most of all the fit. perfect for around town or around the campfire. this thing is ultra cozy and perfect for sleeping in on cold nights.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

The sleeves on my Medium MEC have more room than the sleeves on my other Medium sized Rab tops with a comparable fit (i.e. slim or form fitting)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools