Topic

A few days in Denver to hike – where to go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning A few days in Denver to hike – where to go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kurt winter

@winter5470

Locale: South Florida

I have a conference mid march in Denver at the convention center. I can swing a few extra days to do some day hikes. Anybody have a few good hikes nearby? Would be willing to drive an hour or so if needed. Ideally, an area with a few hikes and a place to stay a night or two.
    Thanks
    Kurt

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

There will still be lots on snow in March in Colorado. You would have to stay very close to Denver if you wanted to avoid it. You might get lucky and try the lost creek wilderness, but is it a little more than an hour away. Or you could hike some of the footholls up by Ft Collins possibly.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Lots of snow still in March. Bring skis or snowshoes. ;)

If you want to hike, Roxborough State Park is nearby and offers some good early Spring hikes.

Interesting Rock formations, cool little hikes, and a nice way to stretch your legs without major altitude considerations.
    http://www.parks.state.co.us/parks/roxborough/Pages/RoxboroughStatePark.aspx

A trip I did there in 2010 to scout out a CT alternate start:
    Roxboro State Park

If you are willing to drive a bit (less than hour – depending where you are in Denver), the Boulder Open Space and Mountain Park has a LOT of hiking. From gentle strolls at the edge of plains to hiking 8500' peaks in town.
    Boulder OSMP

Some good hiking ideas:
    Protrails.com

So, pretty much the foothills for day hikes. But, they are good hikes in their own right!

If you want to backpack, this loop is interesting in a chill, relaxing way:
    Twin Owls Loopt

Could be a nice, moderate backpacking trip without too much altitude to worry about.

It is in Rocky Mtn NP, so not too far of a drive.

Naturally, you can car camp at RMNP and do day hikes from the area as well.

If you need some more specific ideas, please ping me!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools