Topic

Durango, CO to Ouray, CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Durango, CO to Ouray, CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Don't know if there is a trail system per se, but you can definitely hike from Durango Ouray.

I did my own loop starting and ending from Silverton by using the CT and CDT, cross country travel, jeep roads and old mining trail:
    Seven Days Solo in the San Juans

I don't have the maps in front of me, but IIRC you can start on the CT in Durango, follow the CDT and/or the actual Continental Divide for a bit to the Silverton area and then hook on a mix of single track, cross country, jeep track and old mining trail to Ouray.

The maps info in my link should help.

The route info the Hard Rock 100 should also be helpful. The course cuts through Silverton and starts/end in Ouray.
    http://hardrock100.com/hardrock-course.php

Look at the maps, see what is promising and cobble together your own route! It is fun. :)

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

"Look at the maps, see what is promising and cobble together your own route! It is fun. :)"

+1 on what Paul said.
    And some spectacular scenery along the way. That would be a great hike.
    Take a lot of pictures and post a trip report when you are done please. :)

Edit: Mags, I just read your trip report and looked at the photos.
    Amazing little hike. I spent a fair bit of time in the San Juans and I think the Elk Creek drainage area is one of my favorite spots. Always enjoy seeing pictures of that area. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

John

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

I've traveled up the Animas north of Durango, though I came in at Purgatory, and there's a trail on the opposing bank from the Durango -Silverton narrow gauge train at least to Needles. If you can't keep going north, then cut across Chicago Basin to Vallecito river, then go up to the CDT/CT junction and Highland Mary Lakes/Silverton.The train is not that much of an interruption, though they caught me washing up once – poor passengers. Trying to go east from Durango itself, then cutting north, there seems to be too much private property and roads, unless you want to hitch to the Vallecito/Florida reservoir area.

Add: I've checked out some public land on the west side of the highway from Silverton to Ouray, more looking for stealth car camps to sleep before hitting the Big Blue wilderness next to Ouray and (iirc) some forest roads run perpendicular from the highway into the forest with ridges and valleys everywhere. Didn't seem like many trails go all the way. Maybe the lizard head??

(ed: it)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools