Topic

Adjustable poles for GoLight SL2?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Adjustable poles for GoLight SL2?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

I'm switching to using my GoLight SL2 for bike camping and can't seem to find any strong yet lightweight adjustable poles. Has anyone been through this dilemma and solved it? I have had less than stellar results backpacking with lightweight carbon hiking poles, SL2 and WIND. So I'm looking for something a little stronger. Thx!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Ruta Locura (nee Ti Goat)? Pricey but seem strong and light.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

How about just standard aluminum hiking poles? You can find a set for under 20oz that would be very strong.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Walmart sells aluminum Outdoor Products poles that have latchlocks (same as Black Diamond flicklocks), for about $27/pair.

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

Dylan,
    My experience with my Ti-Goat poles and my SL-2 has been fine but haven't had any big blow downs or strong gusts recently. Once when we did, we were camped on Fobes saddle on the PCT and a strong gust blew through at 6 AM on the dot. It blew our SL-2 right off of us and had an abrupt wakeup call. The 3 stakes on the windward side launched like spears off into the chaparal somewhere while the leeward stakes still held fast. Thus I now always carry an MSR snow stake to use on the center stakeout on the windward side of the shelter and use it for a potty trowel too. For bicycle touring I carry a free standing REI Quarter Dome(Maybe that's why my panniers are so heavy).
    Best,
    Carl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools