Topic

“Afternoon Canyon Snowstorm”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery “Afternoon Canyon Snowstorm”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I took this shot over the weekend during an overnighter in Kolob canyon. It snowed consistently from about 9pm thru 6pm the next day. I went in classic ultralight style with a bivy bag under the night sky. Waking up occasionally with snow piled on your bag gives a great feeling of self realization.

Thanks for looking.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Your missing your calling… you should turn professional photographer.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Beautiful pic. I like the lighting. Really makes me want to get in some cold weather bivies.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Wow, the strongest of compliments. Thank you. :)

Jhaura: Indeed, open bivying in the wet rain is an experience I'd rather skip, but snow is dry and quite comfortable. I'll try to post a small report in the trip report forum later in the week.

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

Wow. Just Wow. It makes me wish I didn't live so far east! Absolutely beautiful, and a FANTASTIC photo. Just plain wow, although there really aren't words to describe it for me.

Tom

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Elliot,

Beautiful Image. I see that I got my answer to my question regarding the original test. I was reading the new posts from the bottom up (oldest to newest). But, was the image taken at or just after sunrise, or is this an image taken late in the afternoon. Even though you title it Afternoon, it does not follow your description.

Rich

s k

@skots

The shot is wonderful, Elliot. I feel covetous of the moment. Thanks for posting.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Thanks Richard.
    Sorry for the bad description. It was taken at around 5:30 PM Sunday night on the hike back to the car. The snowstorm was intense all day long, but it cleared for just 3 or 4 minutes, and it happened to be during sunset.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The Kolob area of Zions is something else. I spent a week backpacking this area many years ago and always stop by when I'm in the area, at least for the over look. My wife and I did a day hike (7 miles in) to see the Kolob arch, which as I recall is the longest natural arch in the world. The Kolob area is a little out of the way from the main part of Zions and I bet a lot of people who come to see Zions don't see it. It's off highway I-15 from Salt Lake to Saint George Utah. The Navaho sandstone of the Kolob fingers is spectacular. Your picture is absolutely amazing! Great job!

Alec Muthig

@alekat

Locale: Wyoming, USA

Absolutely beautiful picture. The lighting is amazing!

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

It is incredible indeed. I did make it to the arch this trip, which was interesting in this weather. It used to be considered the largest in the world until about 6 months ago when they did a new accurate measurement, and it fell a mere 3ft short of the title, making it second.

The Kolob section is my favorite part of Zion, mainly because you don't see the crouds or the pavement.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Wow, and the camera was?

Stephen Nelson

@stephenn6289

Locale: Sunshine State

as a fellow photographer, I am speechless (and a little jealous, but don't let that bother you)

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Camera was a Pentax K10D, 17-70 lens w/polarizer.

Exposure info: 1/10s, f/11, 45mm, ISO 100, raw converted with Bibble.

Thanks!

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

Beautiful photo Elliot. And thanks for turning me on to the "photo gallery", I just noticed it.

Also, I just got a K10D for backpacking as well, and I think it is the ultimate backpacking camera. I will post one of my photos soon.

Thanks again for sharing this photo.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Sweet shot! Was it hand held or did you use a tripod?

The lighting is really great!

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Thanks. It is an excellent camera for backpacking photographers, however I wouldn't call it the ultimate backpacking camera for photographing backpackers. :)

Will look forward to seeing your photos!

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

I had along with me a carbon fiber tripod, but amazingly enough I didn't use it for the shot. The photo at full res is as sharp as can be thanks to the camera stabilization.

Thanks,
    Elliot

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Very impressive for handheld at 1/10s. I've been pleased with the stabilization in my FZ3 but I don't think I could get a good hand held out of it at 1/10s.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Elliot,

Your picture was beautiful. I posted it with your credits on my blog. If that isn't okay please let me know here or by email and I will remove it.

http://slipangles.blogspot.com/

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

You are more than welcome to post it. Thanks!

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

Just another WOW to add to the rest. What a pic!!!

Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

Beautiful image, you really captured the moment.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools