Topic

Tahoe Rim Trail Jan 9-13

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Tahoe Rim Trail Jan 9-13

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Forry
    BPL Member

@porkpie73

Locale: High Sierra

Trip report for recent hike along the Tahoe Rim trip this month. Should be skiing right now, but what can you do?

http://www.shawnforry.com/Margin_Walker…A_Hikers_Chronicles/Blog/Entries/2012/1/18_High_and_dry_in_the_sierra_nevada.html

Pepper

Ben W

@bpwood

Locale: NW Center for Volcano-Aided Flight

Kudos on making the most of the odd weather and thanks for the enjoyable report. Weather windows that allow unconventional "out-of-season" trips like this are fascinating. I'd heard about the exceedingly low Sierra snowpack, but this really makes it concrete. I walked through more snow than that when I did the trail at the end of October 2010!

Shawn Forry
    BPL Member

@porkpie73

Locale: High Sierra

I agree Bob. They are saying this could be the driest winter on record. I just heard that this is the latest Tioga Pass has been opened since 1933. I think things will get really scary in the spring with the lack of water. Get ready for a serious fire season ahead!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Quite astonishing to see those areas dry in January.

Nice trip, and nice report. Big miles too.

Dave T

@davet

Great trip report. It's crazy that you could do the TRT in mid-January (without snowshoes). And those are some big miles with short days!

I was up at Squaw Valley at 8,000' on New Years Day, hiking around in shorts and a t-shirt, with no snow. It felt like May.

We need more snow!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools