Topic

Stormy seas SV100 and EXP100 inflatable PFD weights?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Stormy seas SV100 and EXP100 inflatable PFD weights?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Locale: Canada

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone who owns one of the Stormy Seas Inflatable PFDs can post their weights and sizes? Particularly the SV100 and EXP100 models. I have been googling around and searching forums, but can't seem to find the weights anywhere.

Next question: does anyone happen to know a reseller in Canada? I have been googling around again, but no luck so far,

Cheers,

Rob

Stormy Seas SV100 Inflatable PFDStormy Seas EXP100 Inflatable PFD

(Images from http://www.stormyseas.com/vests.html)

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Wouldn't you know it, after hours of googling, as soon as I post this forum comment, I found the weight of the SV100.

From Andrew Skurkas gear lists: http://andrewskurka.com/wp-content/uploads/gearlist_alaska-four-range.pdf

SV100 weight reported to be 16 ounces (454 grams). Comments are "negative fashion points".

So, does anyone have a weight for the EXP100?

Cheers,

Rob

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Good question. I've been looking at PFD's somewhat and weights are pretty hard to find. I did read that Roman Dial has a super light inflatable that weighs 9oz that he takes for really light trips on non-extreme waters, so I presume 9oz is about the best you can do from a commercial manufacturer.

On friday my supplies arrived for the MYOG hybrid inflatable/foam PFD that I'm going to make. I hope to have it done sometime this coming week and ideally tip the scales in the 6-8oz range, but I haven't really crunched the numbers yet. I just chose smart fabrics and we'll see where it winds up.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Hi Dan,

I'll be interested to see your results. I've got a Mustang Inflatable MD1165 fishing vest ( see attached pic). Mustang MD1165 inflatable fishing vest

I like it, but its pretty heavy, and made of cloth/canvasy material, so it absorbs water when wet. I've been thinking about taking the bladder out and making a new ultralight vest for it. Not sure if my sewing skills are up to the challenge.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Perhaps not the wisest strategy, but I'm basically designing my PFD as I go. So far I've made a vest out of 70D nylon, and soon I'm going to start work on adding the air chambers. I've got some neat ideas for the air chambers, but no valves yet. I'm hoping to get the chambers mostly made and installed and then I'll add the mouth valves when they arrive.

It's my first time doing flat felled seams and using edging, so the vest is already looking more professional than stuff I've done in the past. Too bad I didn't order quite enough edging.

The vest I've got so far is 1.55oz. I think the chambers are going to weigh about 1oz, 1oz and 1.5oz, so theoretically I'll wind up at 5oz before I add stuff like buckles and pockets. 2 buckles with webbing is an ounce and the pockets are maybe 0.5oz, so my wild guess is 6.5oz.

PFD

pfd 2

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Hey Dan,

Looks pretty awesome. What are you going to use for the inflating bladders and the foam ballast? And where did you get your material from? I have been searching around for places to find materials.

Did you work from a pattern for the vest, or just take some measurements and guestimate?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

To get the size, I just traced some existing clothes I have and I sided a little bigger since I'll usually be wearing this over other layers. Initially the front and back halves were identical pieces of fabric, but then I cut the neck deeper on the front, cut it open down the middle and enlarged the arm holes towards the front a bit.

Everything I've got I ordered from QuestOutfitters.com. The vest is 70D nylon and I'm using the gutterman thread and standard black edging. I also ordered some webbing and buckles for the 2 buckle closure I'm going to put on the front.

The air bladders are 70D heat sealable nylon, also from Quest and then I need to get valves somewhere…maybe just from thermarest's repair kits, but spending $36 ($12 x 3) to get three valves is a lot of money considered all these materials was only $24. I'm creating three bladders that have baffles inside so they don't get too round, and it's hard to explain, but sides are offset so they will sew nicely into the vest without bulging into the inside area. I might get the first bladder done today and then I'll post pics.

Rob E
    Spectator

@eatsleepfish

Hi Dan,

Sounds like a very well thought out and well executed project, I am very interested in seeing your results.

Making the bladder myself is not something I had considered. Are you going to go with a CO2 emergency inflate as well? Or just manually inflate before heading out on the water?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

They don't get quite as weird about grams as you lot, but pilots are VERY aware of pounds when loading a plane. Here's an aviation inflatable PFD:

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12071

listed at 14 oounces. Less if you take off the light. $63. 37 pounds of floatation, which is a lot.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Here's their lightest one, I think:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99591&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50469&subdeptNum=50470&classNum=50481

but it doesn't give weights. My wife (a competitive rower) wears that one when rowing on Tomales Bay north of SF which for most of you would be considered cold water, but I've seen her, repeatedly, swim in water that had ice floating in it.

Her suspender sytle inflatable (more readily deployable, I just measured and is 18 ounces.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

I used the Stormy Seas Inflatable last Summer for a week,then switched to the MLD THING.The THING had a lot more floatation at 1/4 of the weight.Both were borrowed so I don't know exact weights. I'd love to have one made where my foam pad was the floatation behind me,and 4 platy bottles in front.Dan is on the right track.Pretty simple to make a homemade rig!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools