Topic

1P UL’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 1P UL’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

HJ,
    Just checked, and thru-hiker is still selling their current silnylon in yellow and gray for $12.95 a running yard. It was tested by Lance Marshall, and the result was posted here a while back, in an update later in his thread about making your own HH tester:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44977&startat=20

The material had some water penetration at 3358mm HH, where Lance stopped the test.
    I don't know if it went up to 3500mm, but the results were excellent IMO. There are also some comments on the thread by Richard about another test to 3500mm, but they do not state if the material was from Thru-Hiker. I'm not using the term, "Shield," silnylon; because anybody can stick a name on something – it's the tests and the reliability of the source that matter more to me.

I have a fair amount of older silnylon purchased 7-10 years ago that is much better than most of what is now available; but the Thru-Hiker stuff is the first I've run into that I could not squeeze water through with moderate pressure from my thumb and index finger. I'm very impressed with it, and appreciate that Paul Nanian has gone to the trouble to make it available for a reasonable price.

I might prefer the 1.26 oz .18 black-tinted cuben that Zpacks sells for a floor; but it is a close call. I also stretched the Thru-Hiker material in a 9" plastic embroidery loop, and observed the amount of sag when exposing it to lower temperatures. It loosened in the loop, but substantially less than any other silnylon I've tested that way. i think it would work great on any tent or tarp that is tensioned, like a Warmlite or one of Roger's tents, so that slack is taken up when the nylon expands a bit. Nylon is just a naturally flexible material, and does expand during temp drops. Thinner nylon tends to show this more. I think all the very thin materials, including sub once ounce thinner cuben, have their issues.

Hope all that is of some interest to you.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I got some of that Shield silnylon from thru-hiker that Richard recommended, for bivy floor.

Seems good but I haven't used it much yet.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I have several hiking pole supported tents, and it is no big thing to take the poles in and out to use them during the day. With my Lightheart Gear Solong 6 can take them out or put them back it in less than a minute, once the tent is set up. Maybe you can have the best of both worlds!!

Jon Denham

@jmden

Thanks for the info. As most of us are, I'm always interested in keeping up on the best fabrics and their sources!

Jon Denham

@jmden

I'll think about that a bit more. Thanks!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Samuel,

The Shield (TM) silynylon that I tested was from Thru-Hiker. I am not aware of any other high quality silnylon source for the DIY folks. See "Shield Silnylon +1 on 10/04/2011 21:42:31 MDT" found at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44977&startat=20

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Richard,
    Thank you for that confirmation and link.
    You and Roger have made it possible for me to make gear while having some idea of what I'm doing and what the outcome will be.
    Hope your posts are at least of equal value to those why by their gear ready-made.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools