Topic

Stoic Wraith windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stoic Wraith windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I got a Stoic Wraith from backcountry.com and since there isn't much info out there about it I thought I would share a few thoughts. On paper, it's a strong competitor to other windshirts on the market – at $69 and 2.5 oz, it is both lighter and cheaper than any of the other popular options (Houdini, Verto, etc.) Also, Stoic stuff often is on sale on Steepandcheap.com for up to 50% off, so if you are patient you can get one for about $35 which is way cheaper than any of the other options.

The weight is accurate- my size large weighed 2.4 oz. The fabric is thin and see through like most windshirts. Backcountry doesn't say much about the fabric, but it feels the same as other 7D nylon fabrics I have felt. It is made of ripstop fabric. Backcountry claims a 4-7 CFM rating for breathability rating, which is pretty standard for windshirts. I haven't used it outside, so I can't comment directly on the breathability or quality of the DWR finish.

In terms of features, it is very minimal – it has a full front zip, a small pocket that it can be stuffed into, a hood, and that's about it. There is no elastic on the cuffs or hood brim. The hood is fitted and probably would stay on just fine in the wind. In general, the fit is pretty tight – I definitely could not layer a down jacket underneath the size large. The arms and hood are not baggy at all. For reference, I am 5'11 and 175 lbs. The sleeves are a bit long and if I were keeping it, I would cut off about 1.5" and hem them since there is no elastic to hold them back.

I ended up getting a North Face Verto on gear swap (thanks Mark!) and am going to keep it instead of the Wraith. The Verto is a very similar jacket in terms of fabric and total weight, but it has wrist, waist and hood elastics and a more relaxed fit that end up fitting me better overall and allow room for a poofy jacket underneath. But, for the price and weight, the Wraith is a pretty solid option for a windshirt – it is almost half the price of the Verto or Houdini for similar performance.

I can take some pictures if people are interested.

Andrew

John Gilliland

@johncgilliland

Locale: Indianapolis

Thanks for your comments on this item!

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

You glossed over the most important factor in a windshirt – breathability. The Verto is barely more breathable than a good rain jacket, while the Wrath is in the top of its class (with the old Houdini). I would never own a jacket like the Verto – just bring a rain jacket and save the weight – not so for the Wrath.

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Every time this thread has reappeared in the last week, I've gotten excited about the Wraith being available again. Then I click and see the first post is from 2012. Please stop bumping it!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

So my Wrath is now a "Classic"?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools