Topic

I want a watch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I want a watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

So I havent owned a watch for nearly 5 years now. But i think the time has come when im going to need a watch for a PCT thru-hike in ’07. currently im really uneducated on watches and the like. So far ive seen the full featured Suunto X9 and im generally not impressed with its battery length, so im guessing thats out of the question. Im looking for a watch that will show temperature, barometric readings, altitude and with the possible features of sunrise/ sunset times, pedometer and any other useful features. price is important but if extraexpense is worthwhile than im happy to pay. any help would be much appreciated.

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

I’ve got the Suunto X3-HR. Has most of what you want:

barometric elevation/pressure
    temperature
    backlight
    time/alarm/day of week/month+day

you can start a log to track your total gain and loss and high/low points for the extent of the log (maybe each day).

Also has a heart rate monitor, which I leave home when backpacking, but use sometimes when training.

It won’t tell you the sunrise/set times, but I’m not sure how useful that would be on a thru hike, when those events don’t change by more than a minute or two between days and actual sunshine hitting the trail would vary based on the terrain you’re camping in. If you’re really interested in sunrise/sunset times, I recommend writing down a few data points for the lattitude/longitude and day you expect to pass through that area.
    Complete Sun and Moon data for one day

Best is the price: $150 which is good for Suunto quality, and you can always wait for one of REI’s 20% of sales to pick this up.

No pedometer, but you can pick up one of those as a separate device for ~$10-24, but they won’t accurately tell you how far you’ve gone on a trail, where your steps will vary so much.

The one feature that may be helpful for a thru hike, but this watch doesn’t have, is a compass.

Hope that helps,
    -adam

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just snagged a Nike ACG Ascent watch from Campmor at http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=1733632. Got it for $80, regularly $160. Has altimeter/barometer, thermometer. The sale is still on.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

I picked up one of those too. The altimeter on the Suunto Vector I’ve had for more than six years went haywire. The altimeter on the Nike watch is generally more stable (because of Nike’s much touted “zero-drift” technology). And I think compasses on watches are generally just toys…not to mention the rest of the marketing hype (“wristtop computer”) that has sent these watches into the ether. So it’s a great deal for the altimeter, barometer, and temperature functions, which I’ve found are still the most useful–in a durable aluminum/stainless case. I should probably pick up a second. : )

Dakota Watches has come out with an aluminum-cased carabiner watch with altimeter, compass, etc for $150. I had a look at one and was very tempted by a recent sale, but the altimeter doesn’t have ascent/descent rates, which are very useful to me.

Alan Ellis

@alanellis

I agree with Jon.

I’ve had a Vector since they were first introduced. It is very reliable and accurate. Mine is so scratched now from a zillion trips……

Anyway, the Vector is highly recommended.

AE

http://www.jackieandalan.com

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I did it again! My apologies if anybody was confused. The watch to which I was referring was the Nike Orgeon Alti, not the ACG Ascent. Both are priced the same. The Alti is a later model, and has a better strap and a field replaceable battery. The Alti is, I think, a better watch.

I mistakenly ordered the ACG Ascent, so I know that Campmor will pay for shipping on an exchange. Again my apologies for the confusion. : )

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

You realize that the Alti doesn’t have the Temp. function that the Ascent has ? Maybe not a big deal
    as wristwatch temperature functions generally seem
    to be accuracy-challenged by proximity to body.
    Having a battery that can be replaced w/o expert
    tech services seems a definite plus for the Alti.
    A problem for the Ascent.

I’m wrong on the thermometer front–although not in specs,it does have one

John Carter

@jcarter1

I went with the Ascent for 2 reasons: For the same price it includes a thermometer, and if you look at the listed faceplate diameter, it lists the ascent as 1″ and the Alti as 2″. 2″ is a big watch!

Why would I pay for a bigger watch with fewer features? One of the things I like most about this watch is that it is one of the smallest multi-watches around.

They sell the Ascent with compass for $100, but it’s diameter increases to 1.5″. I’ve had enough mediocre experience with digital compases and embarrasingly large watches to know that the extra $20 and .5″ aren’t worth it.

The only feature I wish this watch had was the ability to store the minimum temperature, but I figure that the temperature when I wake up at pre-dawn is usually the coldest it gets.

I also wish it had a field replaceable battery, but the instructions say I will get a low battery warning several days before it goes dead, so I’m not too concerned about it.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Shoot, I just noticed one other difference. The Alti tracks both total elevation gained and lost, where the Ascent only tracks total elevation gained (probably why they called it the Ascent! They should have call it the Ascent Only!).

Now I’m really bummed, because I really wanted to be able to know my total vertical. Now I have to choose between a thermometer and total vertical.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Go for total altitude gain/loss over the thermometer function. To get a halfway accurate temperature reading with these watches,it needs to be off your wrist.

One can always get an inexpensive zipper pull thermometer.

I think the larger display of the Alti could be an asset to some.

All the “wrist computers” I’ve seen are fairly large and clunky compared to simple watches. I used to carry plastic “swatch” watches into the backcountry.Some of these weighed less than
    an ounce.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I used a version of the ascent with the compass at one point (it’s how i first came away with a strong impression of the altimeter function being better on the Nike watches than the Suunto’s). The face of both watches is big. So is a Suunto, for that matter. More important to me is thickness, and all of these watches are waaayyy too thick.

I can understand why that might get in the way. If so, I’d really suggest looking at some of the carabiner altimeter watches (High Gear, Dakota) or the mini weather stations (Brunton, speedtech, JDC, Suunto), especially if you do a lot of winter activities, or want more precise weather info (including wind speed).

As for compass and temperature… I just don’t see the point of those functions *on a wristwatch*.

John Carter

@jcarter1

I like the idea of a carabiner, but I can’t find a price to match the Ascent/Alti.

I may have come up with a simple mathematical solution–can you guys check my logic?

To figure out my total descent I just subtract my starting altitude (stored as a data point) from my total ascent.

For example: If I start at 5000ft, descend to 3000ft, and ascend to 8000ft, my watch will say my total ascent was 5000ft, right? So 5000ft – 3000ft = 2000ft elevation loss, for a total vertical of 7000ft. Even with a bunch of small ascents and descents, it should still net the same result, right?

Are there any holes in this reasonsing? If it’s this simple than I will probably keep this watch.

John Brown

@johnbrown-1

Any other thoughts on Suunto vs. Nike? I just ordered a Suunto observer, but am thinking of cancelling, getting the Nike, and saving $220. Only thing holding me back is a subjective feeling that Nike is more hype than substance in general Thoughts?
    Thanks!

John Carter

@jcarter1

I typed ‘Suunto Vector manual’ into Yahoo and got an instruction manual; you should be able to find one for the observer. If you’re the type to read through manuals, it might give you some insights. Obvious difference that I noticed are that the Vector has better options for logging data, and you can choose between millibars and inches of mercury (the Nike only has millibars). Nike is water resistant to 100m, the Vector only to 100ft. I find the contorls of the Nike very intuitive and functional. I can’t comment on the quality of either since this is my first purchase of either.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Okay, I’ve revised my formula. My previous formula only works if you begin with a descent. Here’s what I’ve come up with:

total descent = starting altitude + total ascent – final altitude

A little more complicated, but useful nonetheless. Also, after reading the Nike Oregon series manual, I discovered that it in fact does NOT list both ascent and descent. Instead, it replaces total ascent with accumulated altitude. I feel that this is worse than total ascent, since you wouldn’t be able to tell how much of the ‘accumulated altitude’ is from ascending vs. descending.

Now that I think about it, I would rather find my altitude profile from National Geographic Topo! State software, since the altitude profile is more useful in planning the hike rather than monitoring the hike. All that really matters is that I have an altimiter to help me locate myself on my topo map.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

One can pick up a High Gear Axis or Summit altimeter watch from REI outlet or Backcountry Outlet for $100.
    Anyone out there who thinks this is a better deal
    than the less fully featured Nike watches going for $80 at Campmor ?
    Interest is emphasis on the altimeter related functions.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Though I finally decided to get a Brunton ADC Pro, I had been considering getting the High Gear Altitech II. For anyone looking or interested 10 are available on eBay for $104.95 each including shipping from Hardbooter.com. 5 days and 9 hours left on the sale. The info for the listing is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5198337293&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

kevin davidson

@kdesign

STP now has the Startech 3000 on sale for $67
    (77% off list). It’s an oddity–analog watch function
    and digital altimeter and thermometer readouts.
    No logging functions,though. Metal case. Don’t know about particulars of batt. replacement.
    What do people think?

5/27/05 obviously,not much

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Recently, I decided to retire an ancient,much used Thommen altimeter w/ a cracked case and other issues.
    I decided to be opportunistic and got a Nike Alti. Yes,it’s big and bulky and 2 3/4 oz. ( other altiwatches are none too svelte) but the functions are intuitive (to me) and the aluminum case and mineral glass is more reassuring to me than the plastics used on many of these wrist computers. And it was cheap(from campmor-$80—and returnable.

It has the functions I really need (altimeter w/ decent log functions but no compass). I just checked out the altimeter over a 2,000 foot range and seems pretty spot on even with a change in weather in progress.
    It was performing as well as or even a little better than a friend’s Vector on the hike. Surprisingly,it does have a thermometer (not in specs) which I expect will be no better or worse than those on other watches. I also am pleased with the easy to change battery (no sending off watch to an expensive tech).

I may yet miss my swiss-made little analog wonder.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Thanks everyone for the info, really helped a lot. I think in the end I’m going to go with the Suunto vector. The other watches all look so good but I’ve read a lot of good reviews for the vector. Thanks again

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

Suunto is an awesome company. You will find many satisfied folks on forums like these. I love my Advizor, much better than my old Nike watch.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

One of the things that i didn’t like about the vector was that the screen appears to scratch reasonably quickly. I just found this item on ebay that looks prettly light and may help a lot of Suunto watch users.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools