Topic

A little help with a poncho tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A little help with a poncho tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Greetings,

I need some help rigging a poncho tarp in the half-pyramid setup. I want the whole tarp to be raised up off the ground a few inches. To that effect, I have added 8-inch aircore guylines to the 4 corners and the rear center. However, when I pitch it, I find that the edges of the tarp are right on the ground, with the guylines running along the ground to the stake.

I suspect it has something to do with how much slack I need to allow in the guylines on the back side before I raise the front with a trekking pole. Or maybe with the length of the pole, or the length of the guylines. I need the extra interior room for my 6-2 height, otherwise my long sleeping bag touches the tarp at both ends.

Anybody have an idea? Thanks.

–Ken

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

raise the trekking pole a little higher? I was playing with mine today and the higher I exteneded it the better the space was. Oh and I am 6'1 if that helps.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

It sounds like you spread the lines out too far, instead of staking the lines to the ground slightly outside the pullouts.
    You could use some trig to figure how far (horizontally) from the pullout the stake needs to be. Or simply apply the Pythagorean theorem, using the length of the guyline as your hypotenuse and your desired height as one side. Then all you have to do it lay out your tarp, place the stake that distance you calculated from the pullout and attach the line. Then raise the front with the pole and stake out the front guyline.

Adam

Peter McDonough
    Spectator

@crazypete

Locale: Above the Divided Line

OK Ken…

Attach approx 1 ft length guylines to all corners of tarp.

Lay tarp on ground.

Stake rear two corners, making sure to leave slack in the line, while making sure that the stakes are positioned so that the line between them is longer than the long side of the tarp. The amount of slack here is what gives you the elevation off the ground, zero slack = taut pitch to the ground.

Go to opposite side of tarp — attach 5-6 ft guyline to center tieout. Using a trekking pole as a prop stick, guy out the center guyline.

You should now be looking at a tautly pitched triangle that is raised several inches off the ground. Stake out the remaining two corners, and if you wish you may also stake out the center tieout on the lower long side of the tarp for extra stability.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Thanks, everyone. I thought I was way past having to use my high school geometry in my life, but apparently it's going to come back to haunt me. Thinking back on last night's trial, I pulled the rear guylines out pretty taut. I'll try it again this evening with some slack and see what happens.
    –Ken

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools