Topic

Dollys Sods fall panoramic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Dollys Sods fall panoramic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

was out at Dolly Sods this past fall and put together this panoramic overlooking the Red Creek valley:

Dolly Sods October 2011

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks Steve – looks great. I'm trying to find a way to do a weekend in (at?) Dolly Sods this May. Any suggestions?

Dick Beamish
    Spectator

@dbeamish

Locale: Tennessee

A group of us did a 3 day 2 night trip there in Aug. Really nice

Daine Scott

@daine-scott

That is a great panorama Steve. :)

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Kevin –

a weekend trip that hits both extremes of Dolly Sods might look something like this:

Friday Night: park along FR 75 at boardwalk near Red Creek Camp Campground, hike in 1/4 mile to pine grove and camp. tons of established spots including one with a picnic table

Saturday: follow Blackbird Knob (TR511) to Red Creek (TR514) to Rocky Point (TR554). make sure to climb up to Breathed Mountain to Lion's Head at the point. two ways to get there, best is to follow the trail up from the west near the TR 554 and TR513 junction. there is a great waterfall just north of the junction to the west in the gorge, you can't miss it. totally worth the hike down to the base.

follow Little Stonecoal (TR513) north to the junction of Blackbird Knob (TR511) and then continue east along Blackbird Knob to the stream crossing at the base of the big downhill. you can't miss it. several campsites in this area in the pines and on the little island.

Sunday: head west up the big hill on Blackbird Knob to the junction with Harman (TR525) and then head north on Rocky Ridge (TR524) along the western edge of Dolly Sods. several great overlooks along the way and plenty of wind to cool you off. make the right at the junction of Raven Ridge (TR521) and follow that east and then southeast to the junction of Dobbin Grade (TR526). head west on Dobbin Grade and then south on Upper Red Creek (TR509) to the junction with Blackbird Knob. turn left and head east, drop down to Red Creek, climb up and over the ridge to Alder Run, and then make the big climb up to FR75 at Red Creek Campground.

there are only 6 water crossings* and 3 of them might be a challenge (Red Creek twice and Stonecoal Run).

maps are here:

http://www.wvhighlands.org/Maps/usfs_mnf/dolly_sods.pdf

http://www.wvhighlands.org/Pages/Maps_DSRP.html

*water crossing means stream wider than 10 feet. you walk through lots of water at Dolly Sods.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Steve,

Thanks for posting that…I was actually about to email you for that information but posting it might help others.

We're really looking forward to the hike and I especially appreciate the notice about the stream crossings and the wet feet. I hike in low hikers wearing just a liner sock. When my feet get wet I just keep on marching and, if I'm not in water or slop, they dry out pretty quickly. My other buddies all have Goretex-lined hikers and do whatever they can to keep their feet dry. I'm guessing that they'll be bringing their Crocs along…

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

early May will be very soggy in the sods. i can think of three places that will be very swampy and if it rained within 24 hours of the hike, there will be four or five places that the trail is a stream bed.

my nickname for Dolly Sods is Soggy Dods, with reason.

here you can see where we need to go, we simply forgot our canoes. the water is waist deep two feet in front of us.

flooded trail- Soggy Dods

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Steve,

Thanks for the photo and the warning. It's the only trip we'll get this Spring…You've got me thinking that we might want to, depending on the weather immediately preceding our trip, have an alternative hike planned as well.

I really appreciate your help – it's got me thinking.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

If you join the NEOH backpacking club (free, you should join anyway), communicate through the club with Shark, who knows the Sods like the back of his hand. He can steer you to the drier options. I really like the uniqueness of the Sods but have only been there in winter, so cannot give you specific suggestions.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

early May it will be wet, no matter where you go – there is no escaping that sinking sloshing of the Sods. nothing to worry about, just give in and accept your feet will be damp. it's part of the experience :)

the gate won't open on 1 April this year, i was told it was a mess up on FR 75.

here is the Little Stonecoal waterfall at full tilt

Stonecoal falls

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools