Topic

Insulated Pants : 8oz (228g)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insulated Pants : 8oz (228g)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ludo P.

@fils

Locale: France

Hi,
    I just finished my Insulated Pants, a mix between PLQ Pants from Integral Designs and Thru-Hiker Liberty Ridge Pants.
    Insulated Pants by Light Addict

Pattern :
    I've used the Thru-hiker Liberty Ridge Pants Pattern.

Materials :
    * Climashield Apex 2.5oz
    * Momentum M90R
    * Lycra binding
    * Elastic for the waist

Weight : 8oz (228g)

Insulated Pants by Light Addict

More pictures & construction details on my website :
    http://www.lightaddict.net/?post/2012/01/17/Insulated-Pants

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Hey Ludo,

Sweet insul-britches! I also noticed your MYOG mitts on your site– I believe you will be fairly toasty this winter =)!

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

Did you split the 5oz apex because I can't find the 2.5oz on the thru-hiker page

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice! Very lightweight.

Parlez vous francais? (extent of my French)

It's easier if you make it with 2 pieces rather than 4. Take the front right and rear right pattern pieces and butt them together. Since it's outdoor gear it doesn't have to be as "tailored".

I have an elastic waist and a nylon cord. If I really don't want my pants to slip off I'll tie the draw cord. Like if you carry any weight in pockets.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

I'm missing a zipper in that pants. when you are in camp in the evening and it is cold you don't wanna take off your shoes to put on the pants.

Ludo P.

@fils

@Benjamin : I've bought climashield Apex 2.5 on october, It was available on Thru-hiker.

Concerning Zipper, I used PLQ Pants from 1 year now & I don't feel the need of zipper. I just take off my shoes as fast as possible :)

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Ok thanks.
    I will contact them because I need the 5oz and 2,5oz

Ludo P.

@fils

Très bon français Jerry !

Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly use it for the Insulated Pants I'll make for my wife !

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

Hey Ludo,

Nice work on the pants and mittens.

I'd like to hear more about why you used the two part construction process instead of sewing all three layers together at once. Did you need to oversize your outer shell to accommodate the loft? Do you have problems with the layers on your mittens separating since it looks like they're only connected at the wrist?

Ludo P.

@fils

Thanks Brad,
    I use the 2 parts system to prevent cold spot through the stitch.
    I don't oversize the outer shell to accommodate the loft and I don't think it did be useful thanks to the 2 parts construction.

For the mittens I've also connected the 2 inner & outer fabrics on 2 points as shown on the picture below.Stitch point

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools