Topic

What waterproof fabrics are between 1.1 oz sil nylon and cuben ??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What waterproof fabrics are between 1.1 oz sil nylon and cuben ??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

What waterproof fabrics are between 1.1 oz sil nylon and cuben ??

Silnylon weighs about 1.4 oz per SY and want something lighter.

Is there anything else out there besides cuben that is around 0.9 – 1 oz per yd ??
    Thought thru hiker sold Spinntex Pro at abotu 1oz per yard, but they dont seem to have any

Thanks

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Is cuben too light/non-durable for your project? Or too expensive?

There's all sorts of variants of cuben. If you're looking for something more durable than the commonly used cuban, check out the 1.0oz, 1.2oz and 1.4oz cuben variants. They all use double thick mylar layers and the latter two versions have way more spectra too.

1.4oz cuben weighs the same as silnylon, but it's far stronger.

Other options would be pure plastics (ie. painters cloths) or theoretically someone could make a 10D or 15D silnylon (as opposed to 30D) but it would likely still wind up at 1.1 to 1.2oz (vs. 1.4oz) after it's coated.

1.0 and 1.4oz cuben:
    http://zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Saw those and thanks.

Considering .75 oz cuben but was wondering what happened to silicone impregnated spinnaker ?? Cant find any anywhere and AFAIK thats it. Cuben, silnylon and sil spinnaker cloth.

Its sort of a complicated sewing project so plastics besides cuben wont work.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There have been threads here about how they can't make reliable spinnaker fabric anymore so it's hard to find. Maybe there's less demand because of Cuben so less reason to fix the process.

I bought some spinnaker fabric from Seattle Fabrics advertised as 3/4 oz, but I think that's for a "sailmakers yard" which is smaller, weighed more like 1.1 ounces, and it was just water resistant

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Jerry,
    I bought several min orders of different kinds of ~1 oz. (true weight) spinnaker from Kitebuilder, and none of them were water resistant enough to even bother to test for HH. Also bought the spinnaker from T-H, but that was the only one I found that was tentworthy, and I did not like the stiffness and noise.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools