Topic

Big Agnes Fly Creek3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Fly Creek3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Ludwig

@ender

Locale: Mid-West

I am in the market for one of these tents, so if you have one F/S send me a PM. I just have a few questions about it.. or tents in general I guess.

So you have your TENT, RAIN FLY, and your FOOT PRINT. I know what each one is, but I dont understand why you would need a TENT and a FOOT PRINT.. which makes me think that maybe I dont know what a foot print is for.

If a TENT has a floor bottom, why do I need a foot print underneath it? Found a FlyCreek for sale on EBay but it didnt have a footprint. Big Deal?

Thanks
    Ender

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

Whether or not you want a footprint depends on where you camp, but in general you don't need one.
    If you want one- maybe because the ground is really wet/muddy, you can go with the the polycyro ground cloth from Gossamer Gear for $5 or $6 instead of the $40+ BA one. It will weigh a lot less too.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The purpose of the footprint is to contain most of the wear to that piece which can be easily replaced. Of course, a DIY footprint works about the same, and it doesn't cost as much. I've seen people using a DIY plastic footprint to reduce the wear to their real Big Agnes footprint, and that seems counterproductive and heavy.

If you pitch your tent only on easy surfaces like sand, then you don't need much of any. If you pitch where there are many sharp granite rocks, then you might think about it.

–B.G.–

Anonymous

Big +1 on the gg polycro. They are so light that you may need to secure them with little rocks; be gentle, they tear. But I love that they're clear and so incredibly light and do everything that a footprint does. Cut them to size; they weigh, what and ounce?

Benjamin Ludwig

@ender

Whats the difference between double and single walled tents? Rain Fly is 1 wall and the tent is your second wall?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yup that's right.

A single wall tent is essentially a fly with the floor attached directly to the fly, so there's no netting (or fabric) as a second layer inside the fly.

With the FC UL3 (or any tent with a 30D nylon floor), you're fine without a footprint if you do a quick scan of your site to check for pokey sticks & rocks, and if you're not camping on an abrasive surface like gravel.

The thing I don't like about footprints – especially ones not designed for the tent, is that you often have some of the footprint sneak out from under the tent a bit. This is easy to have happen, as tents can shift/slide around even if you're careful to tuck the footprint in. If it rains and you've got a little footprint poking out, the rain lands ON the footprint and forms a puddle between the footprint and then floor. This is easy to do if you use a tarp etc and it can still happen with an OEM footprint if you get a bad storm with sideways rain etc.

I personally prefer just a more waterproof floor and choosing tent sites that don't contain harmful objects. So no footprints for me, except for car camping when I want to avoid wear on my UL tent caused by gravel, wooden or paved tent sites.

Benjamin Ludwig

@ender

Cool thanks guys, your all awesome ;)

NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

Depends on the tent, I love my Hilleberg footprints…they cover not only the tent bottom, but all of the vestibule space as well!

Footprints do more than just protect the bottom, full coverage prints also greatly reduce moisture rising up from the ground.

I know they are not needed, but once you have this "luxury", it sure is tough leaving it at home. Great for entering the space, pulling off shoes, storing gear without setting in the dirt/mud, setting up the dog's bed, etc.

Here's a shot of one:
    livefortheoutdoors.com/Netstar/StarCommunity/Modules/ImageGallery/Thumbnails/59/168459/43186_131545.jpg

http://hilleberg.se/product/staika-footprint

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools