Topic

Dehydrated Water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated Water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

I have been trying to dehydrate water to cut down on weight carried. Every time I try, using solar radiant heat, a propane stove, or my food dehydrator — I keep getting nothing left. Is there a way to cut down the weight of water, especially by dehydrating it so that if I add more later on the trail I can double or increase the volume of water over what is poured in on the trail? bd

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Might I recommend breatherianism? You could dispense of that pesky, heavy water stuff once and for all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

It's rumored to be included in the next edition of Jardine.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

When I was in scouts we convinced one of the kids that we had some dehydrated water. We gave him a gallon size ziploc bag, and told him the directions had said 'Add 4 liters of water and shake well, makes 1 gallon.' He totally bought into it. Eventually the adults broke down and explained to him what dehydrated meant. Sadly enough the kid was 15 at the time, not exactly the brightest child, but he meant well.

Adam

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada
    b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Laurie –

You have hit the nail on the head. I was thinking of ziplocks of hydrogen and oxygen which I could merge. But, instead I tried just plain air and then condensing it. The problem is that when you get rid of the water it does not come back into the baggy. So, then I tried an aluminum foil cover on a pot over the stove (propane at home) to capture the water.

As a result, I actually burned myself. And, the ziplock bag almost caught on fire (it actually did, but I was able to put it out).

So, thanks to your referrals to those websites I will just buy the bottled reconstituted water container and count my blessings before I kill myself, or more severly burn myself in this alchemical endeavor. (By the way I am now trying out the bean sprout in a baggy idea for trail salad and starting my first tests with mung beans and alfalfa seeds.)

bd

Kirk Beiser

@kab21

Locale: Pic: Gun Lake, BWCA

'Add 4 liters of water and shake well, makes 1 gallon.'

If the kid was smart, he would have replied that he only needed 3.78 liters of water to make 1 gallon…

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

don't forget to rinse those sprouts ;) – i've never done the mung or alfalfa – but I've done lentil, daikon radish, broccolli, pea, adzuki bean, and such

I have tons of other salad ideas – actually one of them will be in a book that hits the shelves soon… The Joy of Backpacking.

David J. Sailer
    BPL Member

@davesailer

Locale: Pacific Northwest

One small can makes one gallon of water. The cans even have pull tops, so you don't need an opener. $5 a can, which seems like a lot, until you really need the water.

Bernard canned dehydrated water

To buy, go to http://www.stupidiotic.com/product_info.php?products_id=148

The stuff has been made by Bernard Foods for many years. See the full label at http://www.bernardfoods.com/foodservice/beverages/dehydatedwater.htm

Gluten free. No fat. No salt. No cholesterol.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools