Topic

Virus from a water source?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Virus from a water source?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if anyone could comment on how easy it would be to pick up a virus from a water source? I have an inline Sawyer water filter that is 0.10 micron and it blocks just about everything but viruses which the 0.02 filter does. I have always wondered if it was easy to get a virus or not or if it is just one of those things more reserved to third world countries. Thanks.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Maybe the closer you are to human settlement that doesn't treat its sewage discharge (viruses like hepatitis).

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Only really a concern near the equator.

Edit: Wow, that link below mine really opened my eyes!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

VERY possible (even likely) downstream of any human habitation, especially downstream of any STP.

Sue and I were almost unconscious for 24 hours that way. Fortunately we had got home before it struck.

Cheers

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I thought a Sawyer 0.02 filter might be a better long term solution for water but i see it does not get rid of a lot of the viruses. The Steripen Adventurer looks like an answer but I wish it used standard batteries that could be bought as rechargeables.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Rechargeable 123a's work fine in an Adventurer. These are a standard battery format. Lots of chargers out there.

If for some reason you need AA's, there is the Classic.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Really, where? The Classic looks okay also and the Freedom also but I don't know where to get a micro USB b port solar charger that is reliable. But then I really don't know how to get a solar charger that will connect to a AA or the batteries the Adventurer uses that is reliable either.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Oh, cool – I haven't seen the Freedom before. I think I want a new toy. The micro USB adapter cable is included with the unit. You just need any charger, solar or otherwise, that has a regular old USB port. Plenty of them out there.

As for charging 123a's, or AA,'s my solution was an Ansmann Vario Pro charger, which accepts input from a 12v nominal solar panel (lighter plug). It will do either in the field and is small and light.

But honestly, field solar solutions that actually work are big, heavy, complex things and very rarely worth the effort (over just carrying extra batteries). I have a 10-watt unit. The whole setup weighs nearly a pound… and you still need sun :) It can charge anything electronic in my kit, but you can carry a whole lot of extra batteries for a lots less than a pound, and not have the fuss.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

For the last two years I have had good experiences with the PowerFilm Chargers. I own two versions – a charger for four AA batteries and a charger for two AA & USB. My long-term experience is so far limited to charging AAs for my SteriPen Classic, GPS, headlamp, etc. on two JMTs. So far I have used the USB charging for a weekend with the SteriPen Freedom with good results, but can't yet say how it would work for three weeks on the trail. When charging via USB you need to first charge the AAs at least partially and you can charge the USB device also from the AAs if there is no sun which might come in handy.

Manfred

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Quite a few things to think about. Thanks.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Brett you need to check this out…..

Removal Rate: 0.02 Micron Absolute!
    • Viral Purification: The first (and thus far only) portable filtration device to remove viruses mechanically. It does so at a 5.5 log (99.9997%) rate, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations.
    • Viruses:
    Hepatitis A (HAV), Poliovirus, Norwalk, Rotavirus, Adenovirus, Hepatitis E (HEV), Coxsackievirus, Echovirus, Reovirus, Astrovirus, Coronavirus (SARS)

Complete test data: Virus removal test of Sawyer 7/6BV Filter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools