Topic

Help! San Gorgonio Winter Summit Gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help! San Gorgonio Winter Summit Gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Brinkman

@amuroray

Locale: Southern California

I have a trip planned with a few friends of mine to summit San G at the end of February or early March for 3 days. I'm pretty sure my gear list now won't work and I need help toning it for this hike. Tell me what to add or take away I am open to all input. I'm not too concerned about weight at the moment and I want to know options first. Thanks.

My list:

Pack: ULA Circuit
    Shelter: Contrail
    Sleeping Bag: WM Summerlite
    Sleeping Pad: Ridgerest Zlite short
    Clothing: TNF Diez 900 fill, Hiking socks, Heavy wool sleeping socks, Fleece Beanie Fleece Balaclava, Bandana
    Cooking: Caldera Cone Ti Tri, MLD 800ML, Pot cozy, Spoon, 2L Platapus, 2 1L gatorade bottles, Hydration hose system
    Worn: TNF Kistwar Jacket (softshell), Prolix Pants (softshell), 200weight wool bottoms, 200 weight wool hooded top, Light weight gloves, Hiking socks, Solomon Gortex Boots not insulated. Sun hat

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

It really depends upon the weather and snow conditions. Too early to dial in a kit.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I agree with Nick. You'll need to wait till it gets closer to see what conditions are like. Hopefully we get some more snow.

Andrew Brinkman

@amuroray

Yeah. Its been so warm and dry. Definite drought conditions for this summer. Thanks for responding. Has anyone here ever hike San G around the time I have planed?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Has anyone here ever hike San G around the time I have planed?

Yes, lows can vary from 30s to below the teens. Days from the 50s to below freezing. The mountain makes its own weather. Snow base over 9K can be minimal or over 10 feet. You cannot predict it, just need to wait. It can snow in June. Weather can and does change significantly in a single day. Climbing it can be as serious as any Sierra Nevada peak or pretty much a hike. Avalanches happen. Crampons and ice ax with experience are often required this time of year.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I have been up there twice in the winter, in Feb and March, during a very snowy season. Long story short, we never made the summit. We attempted the Forest Falls route (9 miles to the summit with 6000 ft elevation gain) Both times we were the first up after a snowstorm, so we were breaking trail in deep snow. I remember it was 7 degrees F at 7500 ft the first night; I had a 0F bag luckily. We had the full setup, big packs, ice axe, mountaineering boots, crampons, snow shovel, snowshoes. If it snows before you go, you need these things for safety. We made it up to about 10,000 feet both times but it was a grueling pace and we turned back. I have made it to the summit a few times in warm weather; I have seen snow on the summit in August.San G trailSan G trailheadSan G camp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools