Topic

MYOG Climashield Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Climashield Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

Here is my MYOG Climashield APEX 5.0 Quilt in beautiful baby blue….1.1 nylon
    My scale's batteries are dead so i dont have an exact weight…but id estimate its somewhere between 22oz-28oz….at least im hoping.Quilt
    the footbox…quilt2
    and me in it…quilt3

Overall im pretty happy with it…i used a pseudo envelope method for inserting the APEX…
    I tacked two corners at the top and all along the bottom….i figured a little shifting on the edges that get tucked beneath me wouldn't hurt anything…
    I got to take it out for a hike today in the pack i recently made…and the weight and volume that i KNOW i saved made me smile…and want to do more miles….
    Enjoy and comment freely!
    Hasta

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Good job! I don't know if I have seen that color used on a quilt/bag before. A nice change from the normal green or black. I like it…

Ryan

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Looks nice

"I tacked two corners at the top and all along the bottom….i figured a little shifting on the edges that get tucked beneath me wouldn't hurt anything…"

You probably want to sew all around the perimeter – through top and bottom fabric and insulation.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Nice work, like Jerry I suggest sewing the entire perimeter. Insulation doesn't have much strength (although APEX is better) and it'll probably only be a very short time before those top tacks get torn out and your insulation starts bunching up inside. Shouldn't be too hard to do, and won't look bad either.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

You should be proud of your new quilt!!!! Looks nice. I have some Pertex Quantum in that color I've been waiting to deploy…..hmmm…

Like others have said…sew the edges.

Todd

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

…my thought on not sewing the edges was that it would bunch up in the middle…meaning the insulation will stay on top of me where i want it….ill probably put some more tacks down…but im not super worried about this one lasting too long…
    it cost $46 to make and it was a training exercise in sewing large pieces of material…
    But thanks you guys for the advice…the next one will be 100% sewn edges…honestly i think the climashield was sort of a pain in the a#* to work with….is primaloft sport easier?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"the next one will be 100% sewn edges"

It would be easy to take your quilt and sew around the edges

"….is primaloft sport easier?"

I have used a number of different insulations and they are all similarly a bit of a pain to work with.

But so what, it's a bit of a pain, just manage it. Like do all the sewing you can before working with the insulation, which is your "envelope method". Think about any straps or anything, whether it would be easier to do before ot after adding the insulation.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

….i did sew the bottom completely closed through the apex…and i would have liked to sew the whole thing…but man…it was slipping and sliding on me…i even tried to use material over it…idk…maybe it was a rookie move…so i just went with some solid tacks at the edges….like 2 in to form 3/4 of a rt triangle…so i dont think they are going anywhere…

I am going to practice some more with the left over apex and nylon and get it right…then go from there…

Ive only been sewing and doing this stuff for a few months now…so i think the learning curve shows on stuff like this…and im ok with that…it makes me want to get better, which i will…there is a Joannes opening up 5 min from my house and im gonna take a sewing class where hopefully some ladies can teach me a thing or two….

Myt ultimate goal is to make a down quilt…so my real objective was sewing large pieces of nylon…hopefully M90 or something similar in the future…and for that i think i did a good job….my stitches were pretty darn straight, even along my taper…so all in all i feel good about it!

Thanks for all the input guys!
    Ill do better next time!

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Got a new battery for my scale…
    Quilt weighs in at 18.9 ounces….not bad.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Looks great. I need to try one of those at some point. One suggestion though. From the picture it looks like it doesn't quit snug around your neck and it looks like your feet are jammed up against the bottom. It could just be the picture but do you think a bit more lenght on version 2 would be a good idea? I have a quilt thats barely long enough and one thats a bit more generious I like the longer one better.

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Can we get a picture of it compressed?

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

your right…its like…an inch too short…i thought the pattern i used would fit me snug…but maybe im a little bit taller than i thought…my wife is 5'4" so if i find it too small for me…she can use it and have all the room in the world….

Ill take a pic of it compressed this afternoon…but i can say that when in a compression stuff sack…its smaller than a cantaloupe but a little bigger than a grape fruit…

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

Hey Nicholas. Nice quilt. What are the before and after dimensions?

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Before…i think it was 77X52 with the taper beginning 24" from the top and going down to 40" wide at the bottom…
    With the seam allowance i hoping for something like 74 75" long X 50" wide at the top…
    I didnt think the insulation would take up more room when lofting…

I didnt use two separate pieces either…i used a mirror image of the pattern and sewed three sides leaving the edge by my face all fabric…

Rt now im getting 72" X 49"… so a little short but the width is perfect…
    Next time i might just go way over to like 78-80" in length…idk…

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

"Rt now im getting 72" X 49"… so a little short but the width is perfect…
    Next time i might just go way over to like 78-80" in length…idk…"

I'd say go for it, a bit of extra room is nice, you can always trim some off.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I'm looking to start a MYOG quilt after I get a bit more skill in using my new machine and practicing my stitches. I'm wondering where you got the materials you used – as $46 dollars seems like a really good deal to me!

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

i go the climashield from thru-hiker….$30 for the two yards, comes in 60 in wide roll and honestly i ended up with closer to 78 in of apex
    the 1.1 nylon is from DIY and was cheap stuff at around $4/yard….and i got 4 yards…
    so before taxes and shipping….approx $46 bucks….

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Also remember that you will need velcro for the footbox, cordage for gathering the ends and cordlocks. All of which I would suggest getting from DIYGearSupply, when you order the fabric.

The real killer on price will be shipping. I just ordered from both DIYGearSupply and Thru-Hiker. I paid $6 and $10, respectively, for shipping basically the same materials you will need for your quilt.

DIYGearSupply has a 2-hole micro cordlock on their site that I will be trying out on the foot and head of my next couple of quilts. It will make it so that you can gather the foot and head by pulling on only one place. I plan to set it up in the middle to make that easier as well.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

ahh true…i had the velcro, shock cord and locks lying around…so i suppose that ups the price by a few bucks….like you mention though…the big killer is shipping from multiple places…so try to buy everything from one place…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools