Topic

Kenmore 84

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kenmore 84

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Howdy,

I've been looking to buy a cheap old reliable sewing machine to make my own lightweight gear, and some heavier weight gear like canvas portage packs. I've found a Kenmore 84 for 30$, I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Has anyone here used one? Or maybe recommend some other kind of sewing machine? I've been searching the forums and it seems like the old singers are good too. I've been looking online at some of those.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

That's quite a bit older (ca. 1956) than my Kenmore Zig-Zag (1975).
    I think they got quite a bit better by the 70's.
    There are some U-tubes of the 84 on Google that might be worth looking at.
    The Zig-Zag is much better IMO than the modern plastic ones, and Sears Repair Centers will still repair and maintain it. You might call Sears repair to see if this is true of the older model 84.

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

Thanks Samuel I'll check that out! When I spoke with the lady today she said her grandfather gave it to her in the 70's I think. She doesn't know how to sew so I'll have to see if it works.

I'm still looking for those old metal singers.

I see you're from Tamworth area, that's a nice area. I'm from Springfield NH, moved out here a few years ago.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

I only have one kenmore and it is a stylist 86 from the fifties. It just falls short of being able to sew through plate steel. The other nice feature, and I don't know if the 84 is the same is the forward/reverse is a lever instead of a momentary push button. I find this quite handy when needing both hands for reverse sewing situations. My sewing shop repair guy said that the old kenmores as far as durability really can't be beat short of a commercial machine. Thirty bucks for that kind of machine is well worth it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools