Topic

New Hanger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping New Hanger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Locale: New England

I'm officially a hanger now. I've been waiting to get into this for some while, but with a daughter on the way funds were an issue. My family took care of me this x-mas. So here it is:

GT Nano-7
    Whoopies
    Tree Straps & toggles
    Zpacks Hammock Tarp – not yet seam sealed

Not sure what I'll do for insulation yet. I have a thermarest air mattress, but it's pretty heavy. I've also got a z-lite cut down to about 5.7 ozs. Definitely looking at the IX UQ. Will probably start out with some warmer temps until I can get my setup.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Welcome to the air Seth. Holler if you have questions. :)

Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Welcome to the trees my friend!

IX is a great place to start for the budget conscious hanger. A DIY IX underquilt can be under 50 bucks and would be a great 3-season UQ.

If you're of the DIY mindset start combing places like ebay for cheap high fill power down pillows and the like. They exist if you read carefully. Your setup looks nice, just be warned that hammocking becomes addictive. Your daughter will be sleeping in one by next year, and you'll be throwing out your bed in favor of a luxury hammock lol.

Good luck!

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Welcome to the family! Hope to see you at one of the many hangs.

Dale South
    BPL Member

@dsouth

Locale: Southeast

Yes welcome to hanging world. As someone else said the IX is a great for three season and an easy DIY. I have an IX that I use down to around 45º and the beauty is I can use it in combination with one of my 2/3 down under quilt for much lower temps than either alone. FYI I slept on Roan High Knob on the AT last February at a low of 2º with my IX combined with a JRB No Sniveler 25º under quilt.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Thanks, Paul! I already have a few of your goods! Your page is saved as a favorite. Just waiting until the bonus check comes in to pick up some Primaloft Sport and some IX for a little MYOG action. I'm hoping that witht his and the cheapo EMS daypack I'll be sub-5 too!

I know what you mean about hanging being addictive. I started ULing last year and am already near SUL. I keep telling my wife the next hammock is for her, but she isn't buying into it yet.

seth mcalister
    BPL Member

@sethmcalister

Dale,

What is the warmest you take the IX to?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools