Topic

Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Which seam on the outer edge of a down quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Branko Grujcic

@jackal

Rookie's question- I'm making a down quilt and looks like i can't turn the quilt inside out to sew the edges first and then buffles or it would be to tricky and not worth my time. If i sew the baffles first, what seam should i use on the edges of the right-side-out quilt that would be strong and prevent fraying? I found this on the web, should i use this?

seam

Thank you!

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Branko-

I just use a rolled hem which is pretty similar to the above. Make a normal seam, roll the outer edge inward 1/2", then roll in again 1/2". Pin, then sew.

Ryan

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Same as Ryan – maybe roll over 1/4", then 1/4" again

In your photo, top fabric is 0.5" shorter than bottom – this is unnecesary with thin fabric, in my experience. With thicker fabric you want to do this so the hem isn't so thick.

Branko Grujcic

@jackal

Very cool, thank you guys!

Lori Holloway

@lunette

I'd just add an extra row of straight stitching along the edge, 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the first, between the original row and the edge. You can do it easily by moving your needle position if you like. My down comforter and pillows both are finished that way; it gives you a backup if stitches on one rip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools