Topic

Coconut Juice cans w/ ridges

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Coconut Juice cans w/ ridges

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

Anyone use one of these as a pot?:

Foco

I'm not sure what it is about coconut juice cans that require ridges, but nearly all of the ~17 oz ones have them. They can typically be found in the Hispanic section of grocery stores and go for less than $2.

The cans are narrower compared to Fosters, but about the same diameter as the Rockstar cans.

The ridges really do add an incredible amount of strength to the sides. And with the cylindrical shape and wide top opening, they can hold a windscreen, stove, fuel, etc.

At some point I will try this out myself, just wondering if anyone else used these. A search turned up nothing.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I believe that these and similar cans are made of coated steel and not aluminum. Can you verify with a magnet or checking the can's label/weight?

L Miller

@lmiller

Locale: Maryland

Looks like you're right, searching around the larger size cans do appear to be steel. I don't have one with me to test or weigh, but I'll pick one up just to see.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools