Topic

Hexamine and health

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Hexamine and health

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Yesterday I made a potstand out of a tuna can and a windshield out of the bottom of a apple juice box. I cook on Esbit tabs. Esbit is hexamine. I found the following on hexamine somewhere on internet:

European/International Regulations: European labeling in accordance with EC Directives
    Risk Phases:
    R11 Highly flammable
    R19 May form explosive peroxides
    R36/37 Irritating to eyes and respiratory system
    Safety Phases :
    S16 Keep away from sources of ignition – No smoking
    S33 Take precautionary measures against static discharges

I found S16 funny: it's meant tobe ignited, duh.

Anyway, I made my potholder and windscreen so they'll fit in my MSR pot. But than i started wondering. When you cook on Esbit there's alway some residue left in the Esbit tab holder and maybe some on the windscreen as well.

Will this result in Esbit coming into my food?

I than thought to maybe use alcohol, but there the same problem occurs. When using Methanol, will that end up in your food?

What do you think?

Eins

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

NO worries, just pack the items that come into contact with your Esbit, into the same container you are transporting your Esbit in. Then pack your kitchen up!

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

or cook with everclear!

Graham Sims

@jenner

Take a bag to put the "dirty" esbit items in before you put them in your pot. Maybe one of those anti static bags for computer parts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools