Topic

Will this make an energy bar???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Will this make an energy bar???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

In order to get a more caloric dense food list i'm thinking of making something like this:

Melt butter
    Melt chocolate
    Mix butter and chocolate
    Line a pot with aluminum foil or cookie sheet
    Add mixture of chopped nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds) and chopped dried fruits
    Pour the chocolate-butter mixture over the nuts-fruit mixture
    Put in fridge until solid
    Cut into snack size pieces

Will this make a good energy bar or will it melt while on trail? I usually hike in fall so day time temperatures aren't that high.

Eins

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I'd leave the butter out – it melts much sooner than chocolate. I haven't done what you describe, but I make a cake glaze of butter and chocolate and it stays pretty soft at room temp.

J R

@ravenul

You might want to go with a hard dark chocolate. As Deborah said the butter will melt too fast, so leave that out. What *I* would do to make up for the loss of calories from the butter is mix in some unflavored or chocolate "weight gain powder" into the fruit and nut mix. I would also mix in some oats, organic cracked wheat, or other complex carbs.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

as others have said nix the butter and use a darker chocolate

now here are a few hints…

wrap them in waxed paper and then put them in a zipper bag… if they do melt and reset the waxed paper will make it easy for you

another hint – store them deeper in your pack – this will insulate them somewhat

wayne aune

@waune

There are alot of energy bars on the market and alot of the more calorie ones are generally a "protein" bar. I take energy gu's and put it on top of the bar. A little messy, but you can add some moisture to the bar and add different taste combinations as well as increasing the carbohydrate content in the bar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools