Topic

Lunar Duo to the StratoSpire 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lunar Duo to the StratoSpire 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Has any one out there made this transition?

Thinking of moving to new 2 person for spring.

I would be interested in reviews from folks that have been in both.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Lunar Duo is a big tent. The SS2 seems like it's a nice size too, but it's not going to quite as a big as the cavernous LD. SMD claims a 54" x 90" floor for the LD, while the SS2 is claimed at 52" x 86". The arch poles used in the LD likely provide as least as good of headroom as the offset poles design of the SS2, although I'm speculating here.

My point is simply that you aren't going to gain space moving to the SS2 and you'll likely lose a little bit. However, since the SS2 is a double wall, you can freely utilize all of that space. With the partially single wall LD, you need it to be bigger so you have room to stay away from the potentially wet ceiling. You could call living space a slight edge for the LD, or a best a draw I'd guess.

IMO, the primarily reason to switch to the SS2 would be because you want a full double wall tent and you can make the switch with virtually no weight penalty. Would you rather not have to deal with the condensation on the underside of the LD's fly (ie. do you sometimes contact this with your feet, head or elbows)? Or does it not bother you at all? If your wife isn't feeling the potentially wet ceiling, then the switch the SS2 could be a wise move.

One other difference is that the LD has mesh pockets in the inner, which is handy. The SS2 doesn't.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

SS2 size
    Dan
    That is funny. As I was uploading this shot , you used it in the other thread.
    I have seen a few commenting that you can have 4 people playing cards inside the lunar Duo, well six can have lunch under the SS2 fly out of the rain…
    Note that there is still a lot of "vestibule" space for packs there.
    Franco

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

What really got me thinking about the switch was back when Franko posted his vid of how fast you can set it up.

The floor space loss is only 4" in length and 2" in width and I'm only 5'9 so no big deal there. (We do have a dog with us too but still plenty room)
    You gain 2" in vestibule width which is a big plus to me for cooking and gear.

Head room is also not going to change that much for us.

Wind performance is a big deal for me. It can get pretty nasty fast around here.

I used the LD for the first time on the AT in Mt. Rodgers last year and had 40-50 knot gusts through the night for a few nights.

The duo did OK only because I had good stakes but it was sketchy at times. We did stay very dry though. It was a bit of a sail though even with the additional tie outs deployed.

I would like to hear about what people like better over all or what they miss having from the LD if anything at all : )

SS2
    LDspec

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I can vouch for the SS2 having nice big vestibules. They're a generous size and very tall (ie. minimally sloped inward) so you've got good space for cooking. I would cook in there with my pack and shoes also in the vestibule:

SS2 Vestibule

Greg Yurkovich

@chubbs4u

Before the SS2 came out i was sold on the LD for a real 2 person tent. Then I read about the SS2 and not i cant decide. Going to see were this thread goes? Does anyone have both the SS2 and LD?

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I too am interested in thoughts between these two tents, I've been considering selling my BA Copper Spur and replacing it with the SMD LD, the SS2 looks very nice, but pitching the LD looks to be much easier and quicker. I have the SMD Skyscape and am very happy with the quality and design, which I'd expect are similar with the LD.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The big difference I can see is that the LD uses a perimeter net system and the SS2 uses a double wall system.

Having a larger net area like the SS2 can allow for better ventilation/comfort in warm and buggy environments. More area for heat to vent up through the top of the mesh and more area for air to flow through the sides.

I noticed this with "The Haven", the predecessor to the SS2.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Art
    this is how I pitch the SS2 :
    SS2 set up
    Franco

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Franco, thanks – That is very quick. I couldn't tell from the video, is that pitched with the net tent inside already, or just the tarp?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The inner was attached (it comes like that) but it doesn't make any difference, they go up together .
    Franco

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I'd love to keep this thread going. I'm looking for a replacement shelter for me and the little lady. Want to move away from our heavy REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus.

KJ

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

I am also very curious about the Tarptent Stratospire 2 versus the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. Anyone have both and want to comment?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools