Topic

storing sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) storing sleeping bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Is there a benefit to storing bags in the large cotton sack provided over hanging them. I've read of folks doing both. Just curious, seems hanging them might put stress on the baffles or possibly shift the down???

Thanks!

John Le

@jplblue

Locale: Northeast

Hi,

I think manufacturers and retailers suggest you store bags by either hanging them or laying them flat, as opposed to storing them in the storage sack. As a practical matter, it can be difficult to find enough room to store your sleeping bag flat, so I hang mine. I've never had any problems with baffles or the down compressing.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Actually, every manufacturer's instructions I've read says to store it, uncompressed, in a breathable storage sack and every "good" bag I've bought came with one.

I always store mine in a cotton storage bag on a wire shelving unit in a basement gear room that has the most consistent temperature/humidity in the house. Bags keep all the dust off and the bag name is usually printed on the bottom for easy identification.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I just hang mine on the back of the gear closet door. This gets a bit bulkey with three or more bags, though. No problems.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I store my down on the top shelf of my closet. I made a no see um curtain for it that holds it all in and let's air in as well.

Down storage

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I like that Kat! I always wanted a bedroom ceiling with a fishermans net, part of the whole Tiki styling, but I may have to switch it to no-see-um and go with the backpackers styling…

I hang my quilt and sleeping bag in the cotton bags off hooks in my walk-in closet. they get shuffled enough that I'm not worried about sitting weight crushing one side.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I've been storing down bags in large sacks for decades. I have a pair of REI winter bags (good to 20 below F) bought in 1977 that still loft as good a new. Unfortunately they are quite heavy by today's standards, maybe 5 lbs. I believe I washed them once, but they no longer get much use.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

that's not so bad for a -20F bag, it would be interesting to see what they actually weigh, you may be surprised.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Thanks all,
    Cool idea Kat! Wish my upper shelves were deeper. I started out hanging them in the storage sacks, but they were so bulky that I took them out and hung them, just didn't know if there'd be ill effects from doing so. Up until just over a year ago I only owned one bag, a synthetic REI 35* bag used for paddling trips. Since then I've added a down quilt for the hammock, a down summer bag and down winter bag for "ground" trips. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any harm storing them as mentioned. I'd considered storing them vertically, but that would take up considerably more room, and the only place I'd have that room is under my bed, but I have a dog and cat, so I don't think that'd work :)

ed. for grammar

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

anyone know a good source for cotton bags? also, what's the volume that they generally come in when one buys a new sleeping bag/quilt? Seems like they're roughly 50L bags?

thanks!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

REI. They are pretty big.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

methinks antigravity gear also have storage sacks

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You can get these at most stores,they are just big cotton laundry bags or you can pay a lot more to have REI's name on it.Just look at your local store and save time and money

http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Duck-Extra-Large-Laundry/dp/B001CF4V3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329257427&sr=8-1

Or if you have a local store that sells the cheap Coghlans camping gear

http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/colabag.html

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools