Topic

Second BackpackingLight Photo Contest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Second BackpackingLight Photo Contest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

***THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. Judging to commence as quickly as I can manage it, and I hope to publish a good portion of submissions (if not all of them) in late February. Thanks to all who took part!***

Topics: Photographs should explore the general nature of Wild Places with an emphasis on those wild places explored in the context of backpacking.

Dates: NOW through 1/23/2012

Prizes:
    1st Prize: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Porter
    2nd Prize: Ruta Locura Wasatch Bivy
    3rd Prize: Mountain Laurel Designs eVent Mitts and Gaiters

Each prize will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the winner, so the prizes will even be IN YOUR SIZE. Yay!

The deets:
    * One submission per person
    * Subject line of submission: "2012 BPL PHOTO CONTEST"
    * Body of submission: 100 words or less for caption, plus identification of the camera make and model used to capture the image (exposure information optional)
    * Landscape-oriented photos, 1200 pixels wide (the image must be wider than it is tall, which would be a portrait-orientation)
    * JPG attachments

We'll publish all winners and probably some runners-up in February (maybe March). But for this one-time use, photographers maintain all rights to their images. Ready? Set. GO!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Sounds Great!

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

What Jay said.

Is this specifically a landscape photography contest or is it open to photograph submissions that don't exactly fit within the traditional landscape 'genre'?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If it is "general" I think Ken T already won with that picture he posted a few times this week.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Is this specifically a landscape photography contest or is it open to photograph submissions that don't exactly fit within the traditional landscape 'genre'?"

Eugene, I didn't set the rules, so I don't know. When I read that, I did not read it as "landscape genre," e.g. scenery. I read it as landscape orientation like horizontal orientation, as opposed to portrait or vertical orientation. It's awkward when the meaning is not clear. It could be either.

–B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'll try to get Addie to confirm on here, but IMO "Topics: Open" means the pictures can be of anything (topic equivalent to subject in this case).

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

It is great to see this contest happening!

However, why was it "buried" in this forum post as opposed to getting front-page coverage? There have been a few big issues recently that have not been posted to the front page, included Ryan's contentious article on "Cottage Stagnation" and the news of Will Reitveld's departure as Gear and Apparel Editor. Not everybody looks at these forums at the very bottom of the forum lists.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Bump.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Since the front page feature section is (typically) updated with the newsletter release, it's very possible that it will be featured there. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the cottage stagnation piece on there as well.

I've asked Addie and/or Ryan to respond to the question about subject matter.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Per RJ-

"Photographs should explore the general nature of Wild Places with an emphasis on those wild places explored in the context of backpacking."

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Photographs should explore the general nature of Wild Places with an emphasis on those wild places explored in the context of backpacking."

That changes the meaning completely, compared to "landscape-oriented."

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

See what happens when we speak a common language?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

IMO, landscape clearly refers to orientation as it is mentioned with size. Topics: open also clearly indicates that any "topic (subject matter)" is allowed. Obviously that wasn't clear to everyone though, so hopefully Ryan's direction makes it so.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"IMO, landscape clearly refers to orientation as it is mentioned with size."

Exactly my point.

Oh, well. They will get around to fixing the announcement wording sometime.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Obviously that wasn't clear to everyone though, so hopefully Ryan's direction makes it so."

He has not posted any change.

–B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Exactly my point.

Oh, well. They will get around to fixing the announcement wording sometime.

I must not get it. Orientation is a way of formatting a page (or photo in this case) for display (landscape or portrait). It has nothing to do with the topic or subject matter of the photo which is clearly stated first in the post as being "open".

He has not posted any change.

I thought that's what "Photographs should explore the general nature of Wild Places with an emphasis on those wild places explored in the context of backpacking." was. Since Topics: Open wasn't clear enough, he spelled it out in detail although, IMO, it's now less open.

I don't mean to come off as an a**, but it seems pretty cut and dry.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Chris, Ryan Jordan has not posted any change. Hence, there is no change to the original announcement. There is little point to try to interpret what was intended, except for the man, himself.

–B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I posted a direct quote from Ryan in an email response in reference to this thread. That IS your change.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

I've changed the original post. And Danny, the cottage article, this forum, Will's departure, and other news make it into the newsletter, but do not always have a banner generated for them. Right now, I'm looking at a heavy rotation on the banners (lots of news and articles), and folks don't always click through there.

Also, I can only be SO amazing. I know, it's disappointing. No one more so than me. I hate to let you guys down, but I can apologize bee-yoo-tifully when it's needed. Just ask my family. Or Ryan. Or Chris, for that matter!

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Bob
    Get out there with your Hasselblad and quit your whining about orientation of photos.
    And Addie you are amazing!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Get out there with your Hasselblad and quit your whining about orientation of photos."

Brett, I don't have a Hasselblad. The original wording about orientation was unclear, and then that was changed necessarily. I shoot mostly wildlife, mostly in a vertical orientation, so I don't have much to offer for the topic. If there were some worthy prizes that I could use, then I would go out and shoot something new to try to qualify, but that's too much trouble.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Well I am glad all of this is settled. I thought orientation had to do with the sex of your significant other.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Existentialism: a chiefly 20th century philosophical movement embracing diverse doctrines but centering on analysis of individual existence in an unfathomable universe and the plight of the individual who must assume ultimate responsibility for acts of free will without any certain knowledge of what is right or wrong or good or bad."

You'd think the subject of this thread is how best to conduct the second invasion of Normandy using sticks and stones!!!

It's just a photo contest.
    Take a picture and send it in with a caption & shooting data.
    Or not. Whatever.

To quote that existentialist icon, Charlie Brown, "Good grief!"

Resuming position of meditation.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I really want to have the last word.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I really want to have the last word."

Not with Bob in the loop. ;=)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools