Topic

Zpacks Blast??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Blast??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Timm DeSalis

@timmy_toes

Locale: philly

Ok so this is my last major purchase of my gear for my AT thru-hike. I would like to get a blast pack from Joe and was wondering which size most people would choose and what option would you add to the pack it self? I was thinking the blast 22, carbon fiber stays to help with some weight, and with zipper hip pockets. Just trying to get some other opinions before I click purchase. Thanks for all your help

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

It really depends on your other gear.

Your pack size should be the smallest size that all your gear will fit into plus the amount of food between your longest re-supply.

What pack do you currently have now, how big is it, and how does all your gear fit in it. Using that as a starting point you can figure out if you need to be larger or smaller.

The other option is to head down to REI or any outdoor store with all your gear and try fitting it into various sized backpacks and daypacks. That will get you close as well but you have to be careful as posted size and real size are quite different.

Alternatively posting all of the gear you plan to take and the longest distance between re-supply some people hear may be able to recomend a pack size.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

I have the 30, with belt pockets and chest pockets. It is usually a little big for what I need (Its really pretty big), but when using Mike C's cloud method a bit of extra space is not too much of a problem and allows a little more flexibility when you have 8 or 9 days sections, or winter gear.

Timm DeSalis

@timmy_toes

Locale: philly

I did not think to try that out first for which size to get. I have just bought a bunch of gear and received some over the past month so i have not tried had to pack in my current pack. An osprey aura 50, with a few mods to it. I throw everything into it and try that out. I did just get a zpack quilt 20 degree, and the zpack heximid tarp. Im guessing with those changes from a big agnus bag and rei quater dome, ill have a ton of room in there.

Another question, what is the cloud method? is that were you pack everything in you sleeping bag and let it expand once its in the bag?

Travis Naibert

@outwest

I used a Blast 26 (which I believe Joe has now termed the 30) for my CDT hike. Marmot sleeping bag, hexamid, 0.9 liter pot, jacket/puffy/extra LS shirt/windshirt at the most. It was plenty big to hold my gear and up to 7 days food. I had the standard mesh back pocket, water bottle side pockets, one mesh side pocket above the water bottles (for smalls stuff, headlamp, sunscreen, snack, etc) and one shoulder pocket (camera). I carried my Zrest below the mesh pocket with some thin line I added in two loops.

The gear you've described is similar to mine, so I think the 30 would work great for you. I didn't feel that I needed stays in mine, and I don't really put weight on the hipbelt, just use it for stability. The pack is uncomfortable with more than 4 days of food, but not unbearable. You may be able to use the smaller version for the AT, as you will probably never have to carry as much food as I did on the CDT, and you will never have to carry a bear canister.

James Stewart
    BPL Member

@jstewse

Locale: New England

I think it was in an article here, that I saw an interesting way to measure gear volume.
    Find a big box, perhaps the size of a pack, and load it up with all your gear, stuffing everything to the bottom so it's sort of level on the top. Then you can measure how high the gear comes up to on the box (height), measure length and width, multiply, and that will give you an estimate of your gear volume.

Jouni Leppanen
    BPL Member

@leppanen

Locale: Australia

Hi Jeremy

How do you find cuben fabrick with bush bashing in Australian tough conditions?
    I have been looking at these backs from the sideline, but haven't yet pull the trigger.
    I apprecite your thoughts
    Cheers
    Jouni

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

When I was ordering my Blast 26, I described my usage to Joe who had several excellent suggestions. One such suggestion was for me to consider two shoulder pouches. I went with them and am pleased I did.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/shoulderpouch.shtml

I usually put water bottles in them although anything that fits could go there. The weight distribution to the front, while seemingly small, has been very helpful and balances the pack much better for me. YMMV.

I have many packs including a McHale. The Blast 26 is my favorite by far. Good luck with the pack and your upcoming AT adventure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools