Topic

new pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) new pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm looking to get a "universal" pot. I would be doing the cooking IN the pot vs freezer bag. I would use it for anything from Mountain House to ramen to home recipes. It would be for one person. I'm interested in what most of you think is an ideal volume? I'm not set on aluminum or titanium or narrow vs wide bottom. Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Since a lot of recipes end up making approximately two cups of food, I always want a cook pot that is slightly larger than that. As a result, my cook pots are 600ml, 750ml, and 900ml. The last one only gets used when there are two eaters.

You might want to look for the small Imusa aluminum pot, especially if you like inexpensive stuff.

–B.G.–

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My go-to pot (usually paired with a MYOG cat-can stove like Andrew Skurka's) is the Evernew .9 Ti. I don't think the non-stick version is necessary, although Evernew does make one. Mine is branded from REI but I don't think they carry it anymore.

Here it is from Trail Designs:

http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-titanium-ultra-light-9l-pot-eca252

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yes, Steven, that is the same pot model that I have been using for ten years or so.

–B.G.–

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. How much does the 700ml Imusa weight?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

IMO if you are actually planning on cooking avoid Ti pots. They cook hot. You WILL scorch food at some point.

Get a simple HAA pot (do not buy plain aluminum! Acidic foods just don't turn out well, get the HAA). HAA comes two ways – normal (think like Calphalon style of matte black) and with non-stick linings. Both work well, the plain will take more of a beating. HAA heats much more evenly than other metals and the cleanup is overall easy.

For cooking a wide/shallow pot is easier to deal with than a tall and narrow one.

While some say go small, I disagree. I won't cook in a pot under 1 liter (4 cups or so) because I want volume for boiling if I am doing pasta.

But as well the handle and style of pot must match your stove of choice. If you use alchy or wood burning stoves get a handle on top or a one with a pot lifter. A canister stove is much more forgiving for what kind of pot you use.

That is why I won so many pots to be truthful. If you are just taking MH meals you don't need a pot – a tea kettle works fine (same with doing FBC meals!) and even ramen can be made in a tea kettle with a wide top (GSI's for example). Having 2-4 pot styles to choose from at home for each trip is the best ;-) But then….I have so many it is scary!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"How much does the 700ml Imusa weight?"

How much does it weigh?

I have no idea. I have a small Imusa pot, but it has been modified.

–B.G.–

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Dennis – According to End2End Trail Supply, the 10 cm IMUSA mug weighs 2.4 ounces and holds 24 ounces of fluid; the 12 cm IMUSA mug weighs 3.4 ounces and holds 44 ounces of fluid. They don't come with lids, but Tinny at MiniBull Design makes aluminum lids for them. I think the lids weigh 0.5 ounce. They have a nice little wooden knob for lifting.

I just got an Evernew 900 ml ti pot/mug – model ECA-267. Weighs 3.5 ounces, holds 30.4 ounces of fluid. Dimensions are: height 3 7/8 inches, diameter 4 1/4 inches. I really like the weight and the fact that it's not a tall narrow design. It has folding square handles mounted near the top so they extend over the top of my windscreen, saving me from having to cut a notch in the windscreen to accomodate them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I think that model ECA-267 is 800ml.

Edit: It is an Evernew number ECA-267, model 800.

–B.G.–

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

+1 on the 900 ml evernew pot mug (and it's little brother the bpl firelite 550). Awesome design, and it would be difficult to find a lighter pot of this size with lid and handles. Great for 1, functional for 2, ok for melting snow occasionally.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I use two pots, a K-mart grease pot (or similar from Trail Design or AntiGravity Gear) and an old 1.7(?) liter camp pot.

I use the grease pot for most solo trips. This is 3+ cup. I remove the top lip with a pair of shears, sanding the edges so it isn't sharp. Flip the lid and remove the handle, cutting of the stem. Then, using a shorter screw, put the stem only back on. It weighs about 3-3/4oz, pot and lid. Wide enough to have good fuel efficiency, regardless of the type of stove. A piece of 18 ga wire makes a good bail handle. About $6 for the pot. Trail Designs will make a cone without handle cutouts for it.
    Or you can fiddle with it and make a similar wind screen.

The older pot is not made, however, I have found similar. This weighs ~5oz.
    Slightly smaller is the 1.5qt pot found in this set for ~$20
    http://www.texsport.net/cast-iron-cookware-and-accessories/texsport-four-person-heavy-duty-aluminum-cook-p-487.html

Slightly larger (2qt) is this one. Very light at about 4-1/4oz for ~$10. This is a bit lighter than mine.
    http://www.opencountrycampware.com/category_fbd677dca775/subcategory_62ff4e5aa021/product_65b49091ede1/session_4e05497c3bfe/
    This one also has a larger 6-1/4" diameter bottom, better for heat transfer.

Both are aluminum, light, and usually quite rugged, given a few dents. The bears don't care about dents.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools