Topic

Cat food can stove: side can opener or not

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cat food can stove: side can opener or not

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

When making a cat can stove will using a side can opener versus a rotating wheel opener impact the strength of the top lip of the stove? Is that top lip especially important to the overall strength of the can?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Why are you using a can opener?

Every cat can stove I've made (ala the instructions on Andrew Skurka's website) was done so by just removing the top with the pull tab.

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

Craig,

I'm experimenting. thanks

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Gabe,

Yes, that lip is going to make the stove a little stronger. Significantly so? I'm not sure. You could try it. But I don't think you would gain much. Maybe a gram or so of weight loss.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Using a side opener will make the rim weaker. Use a rotating wheel opener. It leaves a nice ring of material on the inside of the can to strengthen it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools